How long do you keep a cat seperated after spay surgery

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My little Grace got spayed one week ago today. I've been keeping her separated from my other cats when we're not around to keep an eye on them. I have one cat plays a bit rough while playing. I'm just worried he may bite her in her incision. I've read that it can take 14 days for the incision to totally heal. Just wondering if I need to keep them separated that long.  How long did you all keep your cats separated after a surgery? Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Overnight, usually. Once the total effects of the anesthesia wear off, I let them rejoin the family.  They are very good at self-limiting and usually sleep a lot that first day, so I don't worry too much. I also check the incision at least once a day, usually more. No cone for any of my girls either. Thankfully, I've not had any complications with mine tearing out stitches or excessive licking of the incision site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Overnight, usually. Once the total effects of the anesthesia wear off, I let them rejoin the family.  They are very good at self-limiting and usually sleep a lot that first day, so I don't worry too much. I also check the incision at least once a day, usually more. No cone for any of my girls either. Thankfully, I've not had any complications with mine tearing out stitches or excessive licking of the incision site.
Thank you. So no issues with your other cats biting on them or playing too rough?