How Long Do Cats Take To Settle Down?

Elkerwool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me and my sister are both adults and living with our parents through post secondary school. My sister adopted a pet cat 6 months ago though there were reservations about the decision in our family. My parents just built a brand new home and are the type that need to keep everything in perfect condition but reluctantly said yes.

I wanted to leave him to a room but due to the open concept design of the house and an unfinished basement not safe for him, there are no separate rooms except the 3 filled bedrooms, of which no one wants him living in full time. Because of this, our cat has been left in a 4 foot by 4 foot pen for the entire day for the past 6 months. Coming out 1-2 hours a few times a week when I take him out.

While he's out, he needs to be constantly supervised and played with otherwise he immediately starts destroying things and jumping on counter tops and tables. He even attacks people's hair if not payed attention to.

Due to my sister's program she has very little free time and never plays with him due to her long hours that leave her tired at the end of the day. I think she was expecting a calm, adult cat she could leisurely pet after work.

Which brings me to the next problem, he doesn't allow people to pet him. He will run against us and purr when he is first taken out but always wants to playfully bite and chase hands when they touch him. He has never sat and bonded with anyone. Even when I've played with him a few hours straight.

With no plans to change his living arrangements in the future, except the thought he will calm down as an adult, I have mixed feelings. My sister undoubtedly wants to have him but I feel guilty about the life he's had so far being caged for so much of it and being declawed, which I disagreed with but was an ultimatum for keeping him.

I don't know what I'm looking for in terms of advise. I guess I'm more frustrated with the situation than anything else.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never been in a cage for more than an hour, let alone 6 months! They would go insane. Cats need room to play, run, climb, and grow. Plus being in the cage, he is not being socialized. This is most likely what is leading to his behavior problems. If he's declawed, he can't really wreck anything, can he? What types of things is he destroying? Let us help you with some ideas, so you can let this poor baby out of the cage. I'm not saying this with judgement, I'm sure we can help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elkerwool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Th
My cats have never been in a cage for more than an hour, let alone 6 months! They would go insane. Cats need room to play, run, climb, and grow. Plus being in the cage, he is not being socialized. This is most likely what is leading to his behavior problems. If he's declawed, he can't really wreck anything, can he? What types of things is he destroying? Let us help you with some ideas, so you can let this poor baby out of the cage. I'm not saying this with judgement, I'm sure we can help you.
Thanks for the reply maggie.

We have lots of toys for him in his pen, but I do wish he was able to come out full time so he's more stimulated and can develop normally.

Since being declawed, he's started biting a lot more. He'll bite the sofas or an protruding edges. As well, he goes after anything that moves in any way. He'll jump and tear apart indoor plants, push over vases and suddenly fling himself onto furniture, still gripping hard with his rear claws. He's already left marks in the furniture. My family wanted to declaw his back feet as well but I argued so hard against it they agreed not to. I've tried to put "claw caps" on, but he tears them off.

As well, I can't seem to keep him off of the kitchen counter and table. I yell at him to go down and put him off but he's right back up a second later.

I think some of the behavior is because he's so secluded most of the day. When I let him out, he's just wild. He'll run laps around the house, hitting the walls as he runs around. He never seems to calm down.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if he's only being let out of the cage a few hours a week, he's not being socialized. When cats aren't socialized, they start to return to a feral state. It would be best if you could pick a room for him and let him out. Do you have an extra bathroom that you could put him in? He needs a cat tree or shelves to climb. It's best to get him out and socialize him when he's young. Hopefully some more people will come along with some ideas soon.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agreed with what other members said here. A cat needs to live comfortably and play regularly. Imprisoning him in a cage is not a good way to live. He has too much pent up energy once he is out, so he destroys things and scratch people. This is due to frustration. Have you considered finding him a new owner? I know it is against your sister's wish, but it seems like the environment he is living in is just not suitable for a cat. In the meanwhile, put more toys in his cage and even show him a fish video or put his cage close to a window, so he can see some birds outside?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between your sister having no time to play with him, and your parents wanting a "perfect" house, I would say what's best for the cat would be to find him a home where the whole family is on board with letting a cat act like a cat. He would have enough space if he could live freely in one of the bedrooms with lots of vertical spaces to climb and a window to look out. Still, there will be shedding and the occasional hair ball or upset tummy, tracked cat litter and other normal "cat messes". Your parents should have probably put their foot down and not allowed your sister to bring the cat home.

So I'd say your best options are to get your parents to allow at least one "cat room" or find the little cat a home where he can freely live. How old is he now?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawed cats make me sad. I pet sit over Thanksgiving for a friend who was pet sitting for I think a colleague of her husband's - anyway, that cat was declawed and she constantly was curling up one paw or the other, probably to give her tender paws a rest and she was very friendly and needy and I just felt sad whenever I saw her.

That's not helpful, I know, especially since you were against it. I just had to get it out. Let's attempt to be helpful now?

How old is kitty? Mine is 8.5 months and recently stopped (that I've seen) chewing on protruding objects so much, which she'd been doing the past couple months. I'm pretty sure it was related to her molars coming in, because even though she has chew toys, she didn't seem to be able to get 'back' enough with them. If it's a teething thing then it should go away soon.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally never want my kitten to "settle down." I want him to remain active and full of energy. This is a sign of health. Cats that "settle down" are at risk for obesity and heart disease. Physical activity is important for cats just as it is for humans.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is an awful way for a cat to live. A lot of his behavioral problems are stemming from the fact that he can't run around, climb things, watch birds, sharpen his claws, and do "cat things." Any way he could at least live in your room? I had to keep Saipha in my bedroom for a year and a half because of conflicts with my roommate's cat. And she did okay. Yes, it's not ideal to have a litterbox in a bedroom, but get a good clumping litter and scoop regularly, and it'll be fine. Get a cat tree to keep in your room, so it expands his territory and he can climb and lounge in a place of his own. Put together a box fort with cut out holes and let him bite and destroy that. Play with him regularly, work on socializing him, and he'll be a much more adjusted and less destructive cat.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, please rehome this kitty. A no kill shelter or rescue group who can help it develop some social skills so it has a chance of finding a loving home with someone who will give it the patience and attention it deserves. I really do not want to sound harsh, because you are caring enough to show concern and posting about this, but what is happening to this kitten is crossing the line from neglect to flat out abuse. It is beyond cruel to keep it trapped in a cage all this time.
I know you care for this cat so please end it's suffering and find a shelter/rescue to take it to. If your sister cannot see that this is in the cat's best interest, take it anyway. It deserves so much better than this and I know you are a kind-hearted soul who realizes that. Please act in the best interest of the cat. It seems you are the only one who can save this poor cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Saying what everyone else has said, while you are doing the best you can, this is no way for a cat to live. Can you imagine how you might feel or act if you spent most of your time in a cage? You need to start looking for a shelter or new home for him as soon as possible.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please rehome this kitty if you cant let her live in a room with you and have a normal life. she isnt bonding because youre not spending nearly enough tkme with her. a couple hours a few times a week isnt nearly enough. And she goes crazy when you let her out because shes been stuck in a cage for days!. Youd be stir crazy too! She needs to be free to LIVE and be a cat, run, jump, play, hide, ect. a kitten doesnt come to you perfectly socialized and ready to calmly sit on your lap. Honetly though even an adult cat seems like more than your sister is interested in handling at the moment. adult cats need to play and run too.l, not as much as a kitten, but they still need it. its not a toy she can put in a box all day and then come home and take her out, pat her, get happiness from her, and then back in the cage she goes til someone feels like giving her attention. thats not fair to her :/ i dont think YOUD want to live like that, would you?

if the cat cant be a real member if the family, the kindest, most loving thing you can do is bring her back to the shelter and let her get adopted by someone whos interested in actually spending time with her and making sure her life is happy, instead of treating her like a toy you just play with when you want. living in a cage, like others have said, is borderline abuse.

i know you care or you woukdnt have made the thread. i'm just being real with you-thats no life for a kitty. is there a reason she cant live with you in your room, without being in a cage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elkerwool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat is about 8 months old now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My sister is out of town right now but she'll be home for Christmas and we'll have a talk about him with the family. Obviously this isn't working. Between not having the right place for him and no one wanting to chase after and play with him, I don't think it's fair to have him in this household.

For the time being, I'll take him out as often as I can and look around at rehoming options.