How long did it take you to bond with your kitties?

bibby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With my adopted older Persian- it took less than a day- brought her home one Friday evening- she checked out my home, ate slept- then woke me the next morning by jumping on my chest and patting my face with her paw. She had to go the the vets for a couple of days a week later- I missed her so much. From day one I could carry her around like a baby- though she would bite at times.
With my very cuddly sweet kitten- he settled in well- and I loved him from day one- but the real bond (on my part) took a few months- maybe because I was always comparing him to my older cat.
It may take time- you need to get to know their personalities and quirks
Good Luck
Catherine

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, my personal definition of "bonding" means that you become a mom, and not a simple owner or caretaker. I had a vet tech tell me once that they can immediately recognize the difference between moms/dads and simple pet owners. They treat the moms/dads with a lot more respect.

I bonded with my 3 bottle fed babies (Scarlett, Muddy, Koko) the second that I picked them up and brought them in the house to feed. How can you not bond with a kitten whose life is literally in your hands?

I bonded with Stumpy when I discovered him in my storm cellar with half of his tail chopped off. He was so scared, I picked him up and carried him into my house and laid him on Steve's chest, where he promptly curled up in a ball and started purring. And yes, we had to bottle feed for a few days to get him weaned.

Tigger and Eightball have taken quite a while to bond to, as in years. They are the most feral of my rescues and I think I couldn't bond with them because they were so aloof with me. I loved them, but there was a long time before I could cross the barrier between being a simple caretaker to being their mom. And they are only bonded to me and will never bond with anyone else.

Everyone else falls within the few days to a few months range. The sadder their story, the quicker I bond to them.

I think there are times when you can't bond with a cat. I can't totally bond with the outside ferals. I can love them, fight for their lives and take care of them, but they can't show any real affection to me - just appreciation. I also know that at any time they can disappear from my life and I don't allow myself to fully bond or it would hurt too much if they did disappear.

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I instantly knew Dylan was to be in my life and that I needed to rescue him and protect him at all costs. I bonded to him the second he let out his little "mew" with pinched eyes in his cage at the shelter.

But, he fought me all the way and was horribly depressed for MANY months after I brought him home. He sat in the window ledge and stared outside, and didn't bond with me, or open up and show his true personality--making me feel that perhaps I was doing something wrong...it was very tough for awhile--because I loved him--but he rejected me.

Then, one morning, I woke up and he was out of his shell...he started walking tall, with his head high and his tail fluffy...he started meowing, and purring...and letting me love him and kiss on him...

And that was really when our relationship started. If you have read any of my other threads, or visited dylan's kitty page...you will see just how amazingly special he is to me.

The bond that we have now is so deep and so true that NOTHING can come between us.

He is my beautiful boy.

So, if it takes awhile to bond with your kitty...dont' fret...sometimes it takes them awhile to come out of their shell, and sometimes it takes us a while to share our feelings with them, if we have lots of babies to love. But you will find more than enough love in your heart for each of their special little personalities.