How long can wet cat food stay out

irkajava

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think they know when food is bad. My cat wont touch it after a certain amount of time

lordtisburymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been searching for cans that are 1 1/2 oz, rather than 3 oz... I feed my Ragdoll 1/2 can of wet a day... put it out in the AM and clean the dish the next AM.  It takes him alllll day to eat it.  We've been doing this for years and he is perfectly fine.  Recently, he hasn't been eating the 2nd half of the can.  He always did before.  We have always left it out with a Petco can cover on it.  And if it's refrigerated, it's too cold for him.  It'd all be good if they sold smaller cans.  Royal Canin is what he eats.  Do one and one-half ounce cans of wet food exist?

ellegee777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much!  My baby is picky and I haven't found another brand he will eat.  I've tried Sheba in the past but it's a no-go.  I'll write to Royal Canin.  Maybe they have something or will... THANK YOU for the info!!!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you very much!  My baby is picky and I haven't found another brand he will eat.  I've tried Sheba in the past but it's a no-go.  I'll write to Royal Canin.  Maybe they have something or will... THANK YOU for the info!!!
You are very welcome . My cats are super picky as well , they do not like Sheba . They only eat Fancy Feast Classic

Cinnabun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cats about 3 ounces of wet food twice a day. Since I mostly use 13 ounce cans, the remainder gets capped and put in the fridge. I bought a plastic cap at Petco for a buck that fits all sizes of cans. Works great.

I don't worry about how long the food that gets left in the bowls. My cats usually don't eat all their food right away. They'll walk off and come back an hour later and finish it off. I was their bowls out before the next meal.

I figure if the lions and tigers I've seen on nature documentaries can safely eat off the same kill baking on the plains or jungle in the 95+ degree heat for days, it won't kill my cats to have their food left at room temperature for a couple of hours.
Agreed! When animals are in the wild, they don't have the luxury of refrigerators. They may come back and finish off kill from several hours or a day ago. I think manufacturers use human guidelines for leaving pet food out for long periods of time at room temperature to protect themselves.