How Long Can Cats Be Left Alone?

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the maximum days a cat be left alone in the house with a huge bowl of food and water and multiple litter boxes? My cat is very independent, and already accustomed to being left alone daily while I'm at work. I've increased it slowly to a weekend alone, then I was on vacation four days with such preparation and when I returned he seemed relaxed and unfazed by my absence. I have two cats now that get along well and have never done any malicious mischief. I am now out of town for 7 days, which I think that is the maximum days I would go without bordering or having someone stop by. Although, they hate being bordered and get skittish with new people. They're much more relaxed and comfortable in their familiar, quiet home. Any thoughts?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Seven days is a long time to be left alone. Even with multiple litterboxes, they would eventually fill up to the point that any cat would refuse to use it. There's also always the possibility of injuries (like falling from a shelf), that would get progressively worse if there's no one who can get them to the vet to be checked out. I always have a professional pet sitter to check in on Charlie twice daily (even if it's just over a weekend). Since your cats are uncomfortable around new people, is there anyone, a friend or family member perhaps, who your cats have already met, who can stop by to check in on them while you're away?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 7 days is too long. Sorry. Not judging. Dont know your situation. I would be very concerned if I was gone that long.

Also be aware that insurance companies may not cover claims if the house isnt visited once every few days....especially in areas with cold winters.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to add regarding the water........ use several very large bowls at least and make sure the bowls cant be tipped over and split.

And remove all toilet paper towels face cloths and absorbant materials!!!!!!

Our cats once dropped a roll of toilet paper into their water dish. When I got up in the morning the water dish was dry as the paper had absorbed it all!!!!! Who would have thought that would happen. Had we been gone for a few days, that might have been death for the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was on my mind the whole trip. I've already cancelled my plans and heading home. I think I could pay my house keeper to do it. Family lives too far. Thanks for the advice.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It was on my mind the whole trip. I've already cancelled my plans and heading home. I think I could pay my house keeper to do it. Family lives too far. Thanks for the advice.
I'm a bit late to this thread, just wanted to say that 48 hours is the max for me to leave kitties alone. Any longer than that and I have someone come in once a day to scoop litter boxes and top off food and water. Even when I know someone is coming in I always leave a lot of extra dry food out and a couple of large bowls of water set where they can't get tipped over.

I'm glad to hear you're going back to take care of your kitties. Hopefully cutting your trip short doesn't create other problems for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got home. Cats are totally fine. They seem at ease, not stressed or upset. No abnormal behavior. Gave them both a big hug and wet food for dinner. Still lots of clean water in the two huge bowls, and plenty dry food left. Litter boxes not that dirty considering. Very cool and comfortable in the house. One cat was sniffing my shoes In an attempt to figure out where I've been. The other cat was preoccupied with a wild jack rabbit on the other side of the patio window, so he could care less of my return .. Hahaha!

No, it didn't upset my plans. Better safe than sorry. Now I can just get stuff done at home for the remainder of my vacation.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The longest I've left mine was 64 hours. They were fine, but I wouldn't make a habit of that. I use automatic feeders to make sure their meals are spaced out, extra water bowls, extra litter trays.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'd be totally fine to have your house cleaner just step in and see if they're doing okay, change their water/clean boxes and make sure they have food. It's more so about safety than the cats needing someone there- they're pretty self sufficient, so yeah anything over two days I'd have your person just swing by for ten minutes and make sure all is well