How likely recurrence of nasal congestion subsequent FHV rhinotracheitis?

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently went through an awful experience with our big chubby diabetic cat.

Brought a young (vaccinated) cat into the home and within a few months she showed symptoms of FVR.

She never became terribly ill, but our 13 year old diabetic did. Developed severe respiratory symptoms and immediately stopped eating. After four days he was in ICU with HL and DKA. He amazingly survived but it was touch and go for a week. He's home now with a feeding tube slowly regaining his general health- eyes still draining with scarred corneas.

Giving both cats L-lysine and lactoferrin. But already having nightmares thinking about a recurrence since at some point the tube will be removed. It's the nasal congestion part of the illness that caused him to stop eating, not the eyes. I read that it's the eye discharge/corneal ulcers not the nasal congestion of FVR that is most likely to happen after the first herpes bout.

He will just not eat with any nasal congestion and that's what would kill him.

If I knew that he was less likely to get the nasal congestion I could relax a little! Have a 2 week trip that I can't cancel in May and stressing already, despite a sitter at home. If anything is going to cause my cat stress it will be me gone. Realize his stress is what could activate the virus.

Can you tell me what your experience was after the first go around with this infection?

And anyone know how long a feeding tube can remain in?

Thanks.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The feeding tube time is not my area of expertise, but I can tell you about herpevirus!

The initial illness is by FAR the worst.

Once you achieve a full recovery of the initial infection, the most common is you might see watery eyes or some eye drainage every so often. Some never, some yearly, some every couple/few years, it varies. Just keep your terramycin handy :)

So what you read is true, the huge majority might show eye issues and not nasal congestion, usually not ever again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!! So very grateful to hear this. Can't tell you how relieved I am. The eye stuff isn't so great, but to know that he shouldn't suffer the congestion part and stop eating- feel like a giant weight is lifted. Realize that there are no guarantees, but whew this is so encouraging!

Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you are feeling less stressed about it! I don't blame you after what you and he have recently gone through!

The eye thing isn't a big deal really. It's mild. In general it will be like maybe once a year you will put some terramycin in his eyes for a few days is about all it is.

Continuing lysine permanently is a great way to help ward this off too, so you may never see it.