How is your cat’s respiratory rate?

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed that my cat, Tabby’s side rose up and down very rapidly last night, so I counted her respiratory rates .

It was about 90 (normal is about 20-30) breaths a minute…  This morning, her rate is around 70 breaths a minute.

Is this because of her IBD? Or a side effect from the prednisolone that she takes??

She’s doing well. She has a good appetite. It's just fast breaths, and it doesn’t make any noticeable sound either. 

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated! 

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can only relate what caused fast respiration in my cat. It would suddenly start every 6 weeks. It was airborne nitrates from frying bacon. Maybe a call to your vet can help figure it out? Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your feedback. What a surprise that frying bacon causes fast respiration…!!

I thought maybe this hot weather made her breathing rate high, so I turned on the AC. Her breathing gets a bit better now. It’s still high, like around 55 breaths a minute. but It’s better than last night.

I would call my cat’s vet, but I’m sure the vet wants me to take her right away… If it gets worse, I'll take her to the vet, but other than this she is doing well. Tabby hates the vet so much, last time we visited there she vomited, so I am hesitant to call them… :’(

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would keep a close eye on her. There have been cases of prednisolone causing congestive heart failure in cats, my vet always warns me of this when my heart murmur kitty had to use them for her IBD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi JDollPrincess,
Thanks you for your kind comment!  

Yes, I continue to keep a close eye on her.
Her respiratory rates are now 30 breaths a minute!!

Maybe it was too hot for her, I usually don’t turn on AC in May, but 
I guess I should keep the room temperature cool for her.

I wonder if IBD or the Prednisolone heat up her body temperature…?