How in the world does an indoor cat get giardia??

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That's very sad, so sorry she's more unwell now.  I will be willing you all on and visualising a strong, deterimed Turtle that wants to fight on and overcome this.  Sometimes one thing triggers another and our little cats are overwhelmed for a bit but she has been to the vet and you know what is going on so she has every chance.  

I hope you are able to find food to tempt her and to get some of her medication in to her without too much distress.

Hugs and lots of positive vibes for you and all your kitties, but especially Turtle.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry but I'm glad you have great vet care. That's so fantastic that you were able to get medical intervention in a timely way, and while it might have looked liked just giardia at first, diligent care on your part and your vet's part has revealed more serious issues which can hopefully be cured.  You've done really well, and now its up to medical help and your caring hands to get your cat through this. You did right by her, and i'm rooting for you, and for her.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of Turtle today and willing her to be strong and work with her medication to overcome all those infections and challenges for her little body.  She will feel your love and that is the best incentive for everyone to get well that I know. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry about the pancreatitis!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

I just wanted to pop in to add to the information about how an indoor-only cat can get giardia. If they were ever in a shelter or outdoors, they can have giardia in their gut, but at levels that are not a problem. Stress, illness, etc. can cause a change in the gut flora that allows it to reproduce/grow to amounts that become a problem.

People, cats, dogs - all animals - often have "unhealthy" bacteria or parasites that are kept in check by the immune system, and it's not an issue until the immune system takes a hit for whatever reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, for the supportive words and positive thoughts. they really help a lot!

So when I brought Turtle in on Saturday, she didn't look like herself. Very quiet, clearly not happy or feeling well. Both vets were there, so she got both of their opinions. Her liver enzymes were up, almost normal, which is good, but her left kidney was battling more than one kind of infection. It actually shrunk so it's smaller than her right kidney, which is doing fine. Her pancreatits and her kidney infection were hurting her, which explains why she kept trying to curl up on her left side, then immediately getting up and repositioning. They pumped her full of fluids, a broad spectrum of antibiotics, an anti-inflamatory, and pain meds. They also fed her as much as they could. The vet told me she has to keep eating because if she stops, the only other option would be to put a feeding tube in her neck. I really don't want to go there, she's so young and it will be too traumatic for both of us.

I watched her the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday, I saw her snacking on dry food (although I'm not sure how much) several times during the day, and drinking water as well. She wasn't interested in wet food, but she can be really picky about that too. While she was definitely not at her normal activity level, she was not hiding, but sleeping in plain sight on the heating pad I gave to the cats, or on my bed. She walked around with her tail down, but she stopped favoring her left side so much, and was not nearly as vocal.

I took her back in this morning for a checkup. She didn't vomit either going or coming home - which is a first!! She gained 8 ounces since Saturday - woo-hoo!!! They said her CBC levels are almost back to normal. I was able to give her the antibiotic she needed as well, she didn't freak out so bad about being pilled. They had her for a couple of hours, and reported that she looked more like herself, alert and watching everything from the front of her cage, as opposed to Saturday, where she hid in the back. They also said they found a food she "completely scarfed" - which was the veterinary S/D dry food (diabetic management). If she'll eat that, I'll buy it (as dammed expensive as it is!). At this point I'll buy her a lobster if she'll eat it!

The plan is now to give her the antibiotics and continue the appetite stimulant, get her to eat as much as possible and bring her back in in two weeks. Thanks again for all your support and happy thoughts, looks like Turtle is putting them to good use. Keep crossing your fingers for her!

And I thought I'd attach a picture so you know who you're rooting for

My sweet baby Turtle, aka Peekers, Fuzz, Supa-Fuzz, Turts, Fuzzy and Peeks. :-)

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo Hoo!  Glad to hear she is improving.  I hear you about the Vet diet, I have been trying everything to get my DeeJay to eat and even with my discount the SD Vet food is darn expensive, we are trying the J/D and the i/d right now on DeeJay.  Your kitty is very beautiful.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Way to go! And Turtle is an incredibly cute cat.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Wey hey for Turts, she is a Supa-Fuzzy cutie and she has to keep getting better so we get more photos of her. 
  I am so glad she's eating again, even if it is the most expensive stuff the vests could find to et her addicted to.  She's got lots of love in her life, and you are certainly pampering her rotten so she has the best motivation to chow down on that food and take her antibiotics.  Keep us up to date on how she goes.