How I am treating Chumley's FIV

rujun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently brought in a FiV+ cat. I feed my own cats raw and I was torn whether I should put him on raw as well after doing some research on whether raw diet will be suitable. I ended up going for it as his WBC is in the normal range with the thought that he will be able to fight off infection. Should there be other considerations?
Also, he suffers from constipation. I brought him various vets but none can tell me what the cause could be (e.g. megacolon). It seems like his poop volume is relatively more compared to my own cats. We administer a coconut oil enema if he doesn't poop by the third day.
Just this week we noticed that he has bald and raw patches on his back and head. I plan to bring him to the vet to diagnose what the skin problem could be but does anyone have a natural remedy for skin problems? I'm afraid the vet will just prescribe antibiotics and steroids.
He's currently on Vit B12 (he had anemia but RBC is up now), coconut oil and probiotics for the constipation. I've ordered digestive enzymes with the hope that it'll help with absorption and reduce poop volume. He's going to start taking fish oil and I'm sourcing for colostrum to boost immunity.
Any advice or pointers will be appreciated!

Zebib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
All the detailed information is very useful, thank you.
How is Chumley doing? I am living a similar situation with my Fabo. I'd have some questions, maybe you could help me:
- feeding him raw, Chumley never experienced any bacterial problems afterwards? Fabo was treated for giardia and colstridium perifrengis (something like this..). This is the only reason that is keeping me from feeding him raw.. I believe that it would be better than duck canned food (Go), and Duck hypoalergenic dry food...

- lactoferrin and probiotics, his stools get more soft/liquid with these supplements.

- SEB, how and when do you give it to him? I use a seringe and give it to him after mixing it with water. Before his meals. But it gives him gases.. Tried the syrup recipe, sligthly cooked, but same result: better stools, more firm but painful bloating.

- ears: by any chance, did Chumley have black discharge, not mites?

Thank you for your help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Zebib, unfortunately, the Chumley's owner hasn't been active on this site for quite sometime now, so you probably won't get any response to your query :frown: I'm guessing you have discussed all these questions with your Vet?