How I am dealing with the recall, you?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were not affected by the recall in any way, so it's been business as usual at our house

My thoughts are with anyone that was and continues to be, however, and many of the kitties I adopted out were as well, so I continue to worry about them. Luckily, we feed the "good" (in quotes! ha!) wet...mainly Friskies...at the shelter, along with SD Adult, so none of the shelter kitties were affected, thank goodness.

I'm also glad to see a couple other Evanger's feeders out there! I've worked with the company (including the company owners) for a shelter diet initiative and I can honestly say I trust them. THey make their own food in one plant in Chicago (where I live) and all of their ingredients are purchased domestically. Several of their varieties are also hand-packed and they hold a contest in some of the pet boutiques in which every human who eats a can of their food gets a free case or 2. I also like it because I have not met a cat who won't eat the Pheasant. That's how I enticed 2 of my kitties into eating wet in the first place!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The overall recall covers "cuts and gravy"-style products made between Nov. 8 and March 6 from a select variety of popular brands including Iams, Hy-Vee, Nutro, Paws and
This is from another thread on more contaminated food discovered from Nutro.
the dates when the contamination took place blows my theory. I thought November and December would have been safe months. My stuff does not have wheat gluten, but it is made by menu. Fortunately, it must be ok, no one sick, so we will keep eating it.

That means the stuff was on the shelves in November, and nothing was recalled till March? No cats were sick until March? It seems they would have been affected before then. I wonder how they determined the dates?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the Ultramix that Sharky recommended here on my Tailer (a finicky chunky-and-gravy-only eater) last night. He ate the whole can right away!
I'm going to try it on Harvey tonight.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The recall didn't really affect me. Neither foods I feed have wheat gluten. I still have Gizmo on Nutro Max Roasted Chicken and Eagle pack wet. Even though Eagle is made by menu, Gizmo has shown no signs of being ill. He's still eating, drinking and playing normally and he's been eating eagle pack for months. Once these last few cans of Eagle are gone though, I'm thinking of giving Natural Balance a try.

~Shauna