How Hungry Are Those Strays?

lalalalalame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually never cared too much about cats but seeing so many stray cats in my area got me a bit curious. Today when I brought the garbage to the garbage containers at my building block, where one can regularly see some stray cats, I thought I will be nice and bring a small can of tuna to feed them. Before I opened the can I think I was seeing 3 cats interested in me in about 2 meters distance. Once I opened it and dumped it on the ground (I guess not too nice but I hate littering non-biodegradable things) most cats came forward and started eagerly eating even though I was only about a foot away and there were not just 3 but suddenly something closer to 10 cats scrambling for the tuna.
So that got me thinking whether cats were really excited by the prospect of eating unspoiled fish or really hungry? To find out if they are hungry I was thinking of trying to feed them something not too interesting but something cats would eat if actually suffering hunger - of course without any risk to their health. Does anybody have any suggestions what I should try feed them to test the level of hunger?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello @lalalalame, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Strays and ferals are always food deprived and they do not have enough to eat most of the time unless the colony is taken care by someone who feeds them regularly each day.

Usually the braver ones and more socialized ones will appear first and approach you and once all coasts is clear and safe, the rest will come out to feed.

They rely on us humans to feed them besides their regular hunting which may not yield success on every hunt.

Before you test their hunger level, please asses the situation first else you’ll draw more to your area. Would be good if you feed them but would be better if you could get involved in the TNR (trap, neuter, release). This way it’ll curb the cat’s population and there won’t be any unwanted kittens and fights.

Please keep us posted :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalalalalame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Tabbytom - I have no idea about how those cats live. I see plenty of food for strays in some other areas (which is not even touched for a longer period of time) not too far away, where the food is not even eaten - so I was just curious if it is similar in my area where I do not see such "donations". Sorry if I sound cruel, but I was just curious how those cats live and don't have any intention of supporting them long term - I figured a small feeding once or twice would not do any harm and make me understand them better. That is all I am after - sort of understanding those stray cats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, a small feeding will cause no harm but hope that the cats are not fussy over food. It could be a case of over feeding at the other location as adult cats eat much less in a day especially if they are all neutered and spayed and no kittens around.

Sometimes food is gone not due to have eaten by the cats but by dogs and raccoons and other animals.

But again, would be good if you can be part of the society that look after such colonies and help curb cat population.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You clearly have starving stray cats in your area. Please feed them. They will go for dry food and wet cat food. Please feed them mornings and evenings.

Once you see what is going on, and how many cats there are, perhaps you can ask a rescue to help with trap, neuter, and release, so at least the cats will no longer mate and breed, which only serves to exacerbate the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalalalalame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your input - I think I will go for the dry cat food to see what is going on as I see that untouched in another area.... please don't get me wrong but I was just a very small bit curious how they live. I do not care enough to get involved or spend any money on them long term, and I did check, that there would definitely be no government or charity program available to help as well.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's sad you don't care. Maybe you will be hungry some day and wish someone cared about you.