How hot is too hot for cats?

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have read through the thread, and it seems like people have various opinions/experience.... I live in New Hampshire in a tiny 2nd floor apt.

It gets brutal in here in the summertime... Like, 85-90, at least. I have a fan but no a/c. Will my kitty be okay? I've always had outdoor cats growing up, and they were fine in the heat.

Also, I've seen pressure-activated cooling mats on Amazon but they are marketed for dogs. Has anyone tried this for their cats? My cat would probably use it as she loves sleeping on textured or noisy surfaces (plastic bags, newspapers, her SmartyKat Krackle sak (LOVES it).

Thanks for any advice!

Caroline

I have read through the thread, and it seems like people have various opinions/experience.... I live in New Hampshire in a tiny 2nd floor apt.

It gets brutal in here in the summertime... Like, 85-90, at least. I have a fan but no a/c. Will my kitty be okay? I've always had outdoor cats growing up, and they were fine in the heat.

Also, I've seen pressure-activated cooling mats on Amazon but they are marketed for dogs. Has anyone tried this for their cats? My cat would probably use it as she loves sleeping on textured or noisy surfaces (plastic bags, newspapers, her SmartyKat Krackle sak (LOVES it).

Thanks for any advice!

Caroline
Where I live is central air, but it only turns on when the air immediately outside the thermometer area is a certain Temp. When I go away for the weekend in the Summer t's set to 75.  The little wing of the house my cats are in probably gets warmer than the hallway where the thermometer is, but there is a 2 inch door gap where air circulates. I always worry about them, but when I return they seem fine. I think the cooling pads are great idea. Definitely going to try them for my cats. 

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the outside     tempature is over 100 degrees  heat index. is it safe to trap a cat when it is this hot? I live in Charleston , S.C.

have one female cat I   have been  trying to trap for several months now.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
the outside     tempature is over 100 degrees  heat index. is it safe to trap a cat when it is this hot? I live in Charleston , S.C.
 have one female cat I   have been  trying to trap for several months now.
It really depends on the trap and the location. You'll need a trap that allows good air circulation. Set it up in the shade, and make sure it's a place that stays shaded all day. Also, check the trap frequently.

Once you find a shady place you could put the trap out but don't set it. Put a thermometer in it and check frequently throughout the day to make sure the trap isn't getting overheated.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add several things to this list. Keep all blinds closed in windows that are facing the sun. Keep fans going if you have one. If you happen to have a square box fan, set it up in your window and have it pull the outside air in by facing it towards the room. Be sure all cats have shade and cool water, I add ice to refridgerated water. Make more than one water bowl available and if you have any tile, in a bathroom or kitchen, let the cats lie on it, as its cooler than other surfaces, especially if its real tile instead of linoleum type flooring.

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES AND SUGGESTIONS. PLAN TO SET TRAP EARLY MORNING AND MONITOR TRAP CLOSELY BECAUSE OF THE HOT WEATHER.

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. have contacted        someone at the Pet Helpers animal shelter that  has had a lot more experience with  hard to  trap feral cats. hopefuly she can give me some tips on trap the adult female  this coming Monday.

will keep you   posted..

josie and the

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in "the valley" in LA and was worried my apartment would be too hot for an animal in summer. I bought this frozen gel pack (K&H Cool Lounger Insert, 10.5-Inch by 14-Inch, Blue) from amazon and my fluffy kitty LOVES it and it also stays cold for at least 8 hours!!! 100% tested!  

At first she wanted to bite and scratch at it but that stopped pretty quickly. I wrapped it in a towel and taught her how to use it by letting her investigate the whole procedure and by putting my hands on it then her a few times, by putting her paws on it and laying her favourite toys on it. She knows what it is for now and will lie on it after running around like crazy and also likes to lay in the towel and sometimes the cold floor for a moment when I put the pack back in the freezer. We've had it a few weeks and I've spend enough time with her on hot days to see how she behaves. Sometimes on it, sometimes near it, sometimes flopped elsewhere, sometimes just sitting minding her own business. She also knows where the drafts are from the windows but isn't a fan of the direct fans at all. Mind you the highest temp hasn't been that much over 90 and it will only get hotter here as we delve further into summer.

Yes, I like it pretty warm at home and only turn the AC when it's awfully and uncomfortable.  First, I turn on fans. I'm from Australia so perhaps that's the reason? Our cats at home just flopped until it was cooler but we had terracotta tiles and high ceilings.  Here I have hard wood floors and tile in the kitchen and bathroom.

I'm not a fan of icy cold air or the sound of it running. I have two wall AC units (lounge/bedroom), a floor fan in the lounge, a ceiling fan and a reverse cycle window fan in the bedroom that I suck the hot air out of or blow in the cold air - I'm gonna get one for the lounge as well. After sucking in super cold morning air, I leave the bedroom windows and blinds closed and ceiling fan on if the day is gonna be super hot. Luckily I live in an area that gets a great breeze at times too. Though as kitten likes to sometimes stand up and put her paws on the screen, the windows are never open enough for her to that when I'm not at home and she is asked to stop when I am. The apartment is bright but apart from a little sun in the morning, it's on the other side of the building so no afternoon sun which helps, N-S facing I think. Kitten chooses where she hangs out.

Yesterday I rushed home at 5pm which was the hottest part of the day, nearly 90 via the web and the thermometers in the apartment, and the apartment wasn't hot or uncomfortable and the kitten was spritely as ever. She didn't even feel warm and she wanted to play straight away.

Of course if we are going to have a heatwave or it's nearing 95+, the plan is to work from home with AC or to set the AC.

But the gel pack is AMAZING! I recommended it to my friend with a Pomeranian puppy and it has changed his life!! No kidding she called in tears saying how much this helped him because he used to drink so much water from being hot from all his fur and would pee everywhere and bark his discomfort even though he had icepacks and the AC on. Now, he just stays glued to the pack and he is back to normal and happy. 

Ps - I'm not getting any kickbacks from the company either!

NOTE - freeze pack flat otherwise it will freeze hard in the shape it is.