How Has the Economy Affected You?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momofmany

We haven't cut back on anything for the animals, as they've got enough health issues that we have to keep some of them on medications and prescription foods. Our pet bills are our biggest expense. We pay more for them than we do for food for ourselves. Go figure.

I think that would be a fair statement to make for just about everyone here.

Regarding Ramen Noodles: I've had to bite the bullet a few times and serve those for dinner. The main problem with Ramen Noodles though is that they're packed full of sodium - which I've been trying to avoid due to our high blood pressure problems. Not that Randall cares what the heck he sticks down his throat, anyway - so I sometimes wonder why I even bother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You must live in South or Central Texas! I love HEB, but they don't have any up near me, except in Burleson, which is a 30 - 45 min drive depending on the traffic. I grew up in San Antonio and there was an HEB on almost every corner it seems. I really learned to love HEB when I lived in Kerrville for 5 years and that was the ONLY grocery store in town!
Yep - we're in southern Texas.
I had never even heard of HEB till I moved here: they didn't have any in Wisconsin. Back home, I shopped at Aldi's or Copp's or Warehouse Foods for bargains. Some of HEB's products are more expensive, but all in all, you end up saving quite a bit by buying everything else so it balances out. I love HEB!

You can get really good meat from Brookshire's too, but that store is really expensive!

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since DH and I are not part of the regular work force yet, our "jobs" have not been affected. However, we will both me in the job market in a year or so and this will be in academia. A lot of universities have low endowments, low governmental supports and consequent hiring freeze. We are hoping things will start looking up. DH was supposed to have cost of living adjustment increases in his stipend but that did not happen.
When we moved to Cleveland last year, we were thinking of buying a house but the housing market is just in shambles here and we knew we would be here for 3 years only. So the fear that we will not be able to sell in 3 years and perhaps not even recover the closing costs stopped us from buying.
The place where we perhaps have been feeling the largest impact is much higher cost of things, including gas. That really hurts. Till last year we were working extremely hard to pay off debt and we did that quite successfully but since that was done, we got a little more complacent. We really need to cut some costs. We do a good job trying to curb utility bills but eating out is a problem with us - a huge problem and I need to be more motivated to cook.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always tried to be careful with money and when possible live below my means so I really haven't changed to much because of the economy. I am 55 now so for the last 10 years or so I have been even more scrooge like when it comes to spending money on myself. I would like to be able to retire someday or least switch to a little part-time job. I don't scrimp on the cats care though unless it becomes necessary. I had close to $4,000 in vet bills in three monthes over the holidays but I was able to do that mostly because I live below my means whenever possible.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The economy hasn't really affected us very much.
We paid off our house years ago. Had to buy a new mower last year-its pretty high end but our prior one was 21 years old. We also bought a new small fuel efficient car and parked the truck. I drive 35 miles RT and neil is 45 miles RT to work so saving money on gas with the car. We have a Home Equity line of credit for those purchases and the interest rate is 2.24%!
We aren't into going out to dinner much or movies. I cook alot and have many veg products from the garden. We heat out home mainly with wood from our property up north.
Jobs are secure, my part time job if I wanted to could become full time but I don't want to do that at this time. I also have my landscaping which provides my spending money for gardening.
I pretty much wear a limited selection of clothes at work so last Sat was the first time I bought a couple of items since late last. I do buy shoes alot as being on my feet all day I need well cushioned shoes.
We have some home improvements planned for this year we really need to do something about the driveway but haven't discussed that much.
I read alot but I pick up alot of books at Goodwill so that keeps the cost down.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started extreme couponing last year so we haven't notice any money issues. I worry if/when it hits how we can cut back even more. We switched the kitties dry food from Nutro Natural Choice to Max. It's $10 less a bag but really stinky poos.