Status
Not open for further replies.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IntheSticks

Joe,
How do all the Breeders in here feel about that statement?

You have all been so kind, Thank You!
And again Merry Christmas

Later,
inthesticks
You can't compare yourself to the breeders here on this board. I for one do not have a problem with the statement made to you about contributing to the unwanted pet population. People who have the same mentality as you are the ones that give breeders a bad name. Most of the pet overpopulation problem is because of your mentality...people who buy pets and breed then with no regard to the breed or the breed standard.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I'd never sell to a person like IntheSticks; and I'd warn my other breeder/friends about this person too.

The original poster needs to find a STUFFED maine coon to sit on the bed - at least the cat wouldn't be roaming outside

Unfortunately this person sooner or later will find a BYB to accomplish what they want to do. Sad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes good point I was just thinking that it would be spayed or neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inthesticks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If not, then it is not a Maine Coon. Those are words I read from Anne herself.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by IntheSticks

If not, then it is not a Maine Coon. Those are words I read from Anne herself.
You are correct, there is no way to guarentee pedigree without paperwork and additionally, you would need to have one that has breeding rights in order to have the litter registered. I thought you truly weren't interested however in becoming a true breeder. Most people are quite happy to have a cat that resembles a Maine Coon since they aren't interested in breeding and calling something a "mix" has been an acceptable practice in rescue groups and shelters.

BTW...glad to see you are online...I'm still waiting to find out exactly where you live....because I've got a ton of cats that I can send your way since you don't seem to have any of the issues that most of the USA faces with regards to cats being euthanized (although something tells me you really didn't do any research into that as I recommended).

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "papers" are not necessarily true to know if the cat really is a certain breed (IMO). Spooky is our 14 yr old cornish rex. He's a grand champion, but I no longer have his official "papers" to prove anything. Not that he is going anywhere, but he IS a cornish rex and I could "sell" him as one if need be.

Are you gonna tell me just cause I don't have his papers anymore that he's NOT a cornish rex?

For the most part, shelter cats are 99% mix breeds. But there are a few that are purebred without papers. I know that if I saw a Siamese in the shelter the fit the type seen at shows, it would be a SIAMESE cat - not a maybe siamese cat. Sometimes you can tell if they really are a purebred cat.

I'm sure their are maine coons in shelters without papers. Maybe you could label them as "maine coon cat type" if no papers. And besides, even if a person buys a registered purebred cat and years later turns the cat into a shelter for whatever reason, they certainly will not give the "papers" proving the cat's parentage to the shelter - they probably don't have them anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inthesticks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems alot of you are making assumptions and accusations about me unfairly without knowing me or much about me.
I am not a cat breeder. let alone a "BYB". I have never claimed to be such. I do have 5 cats, all of which were strays and I "saved" them. They are all healthy, happy, and disease free. All the cats I have ever had have been attained this way. I do not believe in cat shelters that murder cats. I will not take a cat to a shelter for that reason. I have saved and found good homes for more cat than most(not all) of you. I do not have or operate a cat shelter. My desire to once in my life to have a pure bred Maine Coon and possibly having a litter or two that I may share with my family and friends does not seem unreasonable to me.
I did not come here to debate the issue of spay/neutering of cats. I have tried to be as nice as I can about it, but since were on the subject, the main argument to spay/neuter is to prevent more stray cats. The other reason is to prevent some health problems that "might" and I emphasize that because that is exactly right, they might occur. It is not a certainty. I prefer to live life as it comes, not try to predict the future. The numbers are in my favor.
Cat breeding is a hobby. I know of no commercial cat breeding operations.
All of the cat breeders I have had the pleasure to meet face to face claim to be hobbist. But I know this, once you charge money you are no longer a hobbist, you are a commercial breeder(like Congo Coon cattery who I noticed has a full page ad in the Febuary 2006 issue of CAT FANCY) or if you are not reporting this income then you are "BYB". I am a Hobbist.
My Vet does promote spay/neuter but not if you plan to breed them of course. If you are saying that I can not participate in this hobby because of what you think you know about me, thats fine, you are intitled to your oppinion. Noone has the right to call themselves the keeper of the Maine Coon breed. Maine Coons were bred in nature. They have been around for hundreds of years without our help. They were bred outside, born outside, and live outside. Thats where they belong. Not couped up in a room breathing stagnant, toxic, indoor air. My cats run and play and catch mice(the perfect cat meal BTW)and do all the things that come naturally them. And they have every opportunity to run away or roam, but they don't. So far I have not contributed to the cat population.
I know I am good to and for cats and thats all that really matters to me.
For those who I have surely offended, I am sorry.
If you want to continue Flogging me, I'll be in the Cat Lounge.

C'ya
inthesticks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you still do not understand what we are all getting at. Your "idea" of breeders/breeding cats is not an ethical one. You said so yourself you plan on letting your "maine coon" out to breed to any tom that comes along. THAT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE BREEDING - IT IS BACKYARD BREEDING. Sugar coat it and try to justify what you plan all you want. The bottom line is that it is the wrong approach and you are no better then the BYB's.

If you honestly cared about all the cats you claim to care about, then you would look for a maine coon and be willing to take the cat in to be neutered/spayed and keep the cat INDOORS to be healthy. You will NOT find a respectible maine coon breeder to hand over one of their cats/kittens for you to breed indiscrimately and allow to roam outside!

Why can you not understand what we are saying?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those of you reading- "the perfect cat meal" is not so perfect. If your cat hunts mice you open the cat up to flea-born diseases and parasites, specifically tapeworms. If you have a routine mouser in your barns, it is wise for you to get this cat safely treated for fleas as well as tapeworms through your vet. My barn cats get wormed with drontal on a regular basis (every three months). Your cat can also get a bacterial infection from eating mice, or get into a dead mouse that has been poisoned.

As for the other subject, you are not going to get through to some people. It generally just amuses them if you keep trying.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And they have every opportunity to run away or roam, but they don't. So far I have not contributed to the cat population.
This is an interesting statement...Are the cats that you are placing into homes subsequently fixed?? If not, then I would argue there is no way that you can make the statement above as those cats may be becoming pregnant or creating litters...thus adding to the population. If you want to live in a fishtank...so be it. But I don't know anyone that would provide you an intact Maine Coon cat to live under the circumstances that you have described.

I also find it fascinating that you continue to avoid providing your location (even a state would do). Ultimately, you are responsible for every kitten, every litter that is born due to the fact that you do not subscribe to spaying/neutering. Just imagine what a better life these cats would live if they had been spayed/neutered...perhaps then they wouldn't have been "strays" in the first place. But what you are doing now is just allowing the cycle to continue...and I bet you will find even more strays...that is the sad reality of not spaying/neutering. More cats=more strays. I am just glad there are many individuals here who do not agree with your stance.

since were on the subject, the main argument to spay/neuter is to prevent more stray cats. The other reason is to prevent some health problems that "might" and I emphasize that because that is exactly right, they might occur. It is not a certainty. I prefer to live life as it comes, not try to predict the future. The numbers are in my favor.
I'd like to verify that....please provide your location (state would do) so that I can see whether the numbers are going down or up in your location and whether as you have said the numbers are in your favor. I would expect to see fewer cats entering your shelter...because if you are able to control the numbers without fixing your cats...certainly that would be reflected in the numbers at the shelter.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I am alomst getting sick of reading this and yet I keep coming back to this one...I think we are not going to convince this person that what they are ALLOWING to happen is backyard breeding, they are in denial that what they are doing is perfectly ok without looking at the problem as a whole. It is not an issue (or so they think) in their area so it should be of no concern to them at all. That is a sad way to think but I really don't think what we do or say to make this person realize the problems they are causing or what what they are doing is wrong in the eyes of ethical cat owners and breeders, not to mention just plain irresponsible to be allowing your animals to be in that kind of danger. It would be a lot smarter to have a simple spay done to your cat now then take the risk and take the problems as they come because the disease and problems MIGHT not happen.

I also think to come on a board like this that strictly has opposite beliefs of what they are wanting to do is not only stupid but rather rude and almost looking to start an arguement. Maybe that is exactly what you are doing, who knows? I also like how they REFUSE to post where they live even though we have asked QUITE A FEW TIMES. Do you not want us to show you that there are cats dying in shelters right near you? That is fine that you don't believe in shelters that kill cats I think that is horrible too, but each cat you allow into this world means so many more are dying. Not just you, anyone to participated in backyard breeding (YES THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING IF YOUR CATS GO OUTSIDE AND GET PREGNANT BECAUSE YOU WON:T SPAY THEM)

Please thell us what city and state you live in

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I think I am alomst getting sick of reading this and yet I keep coming back to this one...I think we are not going to convince this person that what they are ALLOWING to happen is backyard breeding, they are in denial that what they are doing is perfectly ok without looking at the problem as a whole. It is not an issue (or so they think) in their area so it should be of no concern to them at all. That is a sad way to think but I really don't think what we do or say to make this person realize the problems they are causing or what what they are doing is wrong in the eyes of ethical cat owners and breeders, not to mention just plain irresponsible to be allowing your animals to be in that kind of danger. It would be a lot smarter to have a simple spay done to your cat now then take the risk and take the problems as they come because the disease and problems MIGHT not happen.

I also think to come on a board like this that strictly has opposite beliefs of what they are wanting to do is not only stupid but rather rude and almost looking to start an arguement. Maybe that is exactly what you are doing, who knows? I also like how they REFUSE to post where they live even though we have asked QUITE A FEW TIMES. Do you not want us to show you that there are cats dying in shelters right near you? That is fine that you don't believe in shelters that kill cats I think that is horrible too, but each cat you allow into this world means so many more are dying. Not just you, anyone to participated in backyard breeding (YES THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING IF YOUR CATS GO OUTSIDE AND GET PREGNANT BECAUSE YOU WON:T SPAY THEM)

Please thell us what city and state you live in
I think you hit the nail on the head.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand different places have different opinions on whether a cat should be indoor or outdoor. In England it is acceptable and even required to have an outdoor garden for your cat to roam in. However, this opinion isn't shared everywhere and is heavily discouraged in the states. I was once against indoor cats but now I have 3 very happy indoor cats. But purebreeds are at danger of being stolen as people are really drawn to their uniqueness. My rescue kitty Autumn once lived in a van. That was the start of her life. Then she lived in a barn where she was very unhappy (she was always being beaten up on by other cats and denied access to food at times). She finally started living in the tack room and hated leaving. She was sooo happy to be inside. Not that all cats are like that but some prefer a comfortable life.

I don't know what to add as everyone has stated everything very well. Just because you haven't had a problem dosen't mean it won't ever happen. Many breeders are scared to death of pyometria. You will have a precious cat one day and the next you won't . Please research further at least this one illness as the odds are extremely high that it will occur as your unspayed cat gets older. As the cat is outdoors it will be even harder for you to notice such an illness before you lose the cat.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have gone rounds with myself in trying to decide whether or not I wanted to waste my time posting to this thread. I think the overall responses have said everything I wanted to say - and the message of spay/neuter is present in each. Thanks to everyone who kept their cool, even though I know some of you really didn't want to. *grin*

inthesticks, the only thing I want to say to you is this:

"TheCatSite.com Forums Rules & Guidelines

... We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below.

TheCatSite.com Forums is dedicated to cat care & welfare ...

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cat. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. By spaying and neutering you enhance your cat's quality of life and improve his or her health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation. Spay and Neuter: The Best Thing You Can Do For Cats! Please read this article and don't hesitate to ask for more information in the forums."

Since I agree with Hissy in that we are not going to change this person's mind, the best thing to do, IMO, is to close this thread now.

Again, my thanks to everyone who responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.