How frequently should i bathe my cat and should i bathe him more frequently if the temperature is hi

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not believe you should put your cat in warm water at all. For one reason, it would only increase the humidity.
Another suggestion is to wipe down your cat's paws with a cold/cool wash cloth or even an ice cube. Surround him with ice packs
How hot is it inside? Although I had ac where I use to live, the temp inside rarely was below 82. I put lots of fans on the floor (which is where my cat would lay). When I lost power for several days, I and Ritz stayed with my sister.
Tile/wood flooring I generally cooler than carpet. I'd try to get your cat to stay in these rooms.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it ok if i put my cat in a tub of warm water so he can cool down, as if i'm bathing him but without shampoo
Sorry I didn't respond quickly. Been busy... I wouldn't put him in water at all. He probably won't let you anyway.

I don't remember, why are you so worried he's overheated?

littlewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty is black and very fluffy so traps heat like crazy. Even in England he suffered during the heatwave. Homemade gravy/catfood freezer pops in his bowl for him to lick seemed to make him happier and leaving a shallow tray of water out to dip his paws in. Cats don't seem to like cold water for baths so it mights not be such a good idea, though he's be cool for ages as the water dries off of him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furry favor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am worried because both my cats lay down as if their dead around midday and i am scared it is because of the heat so i want to cool them down but my cat does allow me to put him in water but i have to ask him first and for some reason when i put him in water after taking his permission he will be totally calm unless the water is higher then his belly he will meow and and if i don't lower it or take him out he will jump out himself i dont want to keep doing that because some people told me it is not good for his coat and fur

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put tabletop fan on floor and set it to low speed, watch how cats roll in nice breeze :)

Cats originally did live at hot desert, somewhere in Africa, maybe in Ethiopia, they had high place in ancient Egypt and Egypt is hot desert as far as I know.

Whole their body is evolved to use very little water, that is why they drink too little when fed with dry food and that is why their urine smells so bad, they don't waste water and plenty of water is bit unknown for them, they don't get that thirsty.

Also they do handle heat much better than us humans, when they are hot, they don't move much, they wait for cooler time to move around more. I think that their energy consumption can get really small so that they don't produce much of heat and that way they can stand a lot of heat.

I know of cat that goes to sauna, that is easily 140F temperatures, purrs and rolls on his back but does not like when water is thrown to stones.

Little wind, is something they like, but I doubt they would necessarily understand meaning of shallow water as place to cool off.

Of course cats are not all the same, I have one that goes swimming if I give her enough big container of water, so some cats might like from water more, some would just lick water, there is no harm experimenting, but cat should take action, if you pour water on cat, have first aid kit nearby, you may witness that split second change from fluffy cute furry friend to fearsome predator that is fighting from his life.

furry favor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well thanks and i did see the fearsome predator in one of my cats but the other is okay, i got my finger bit with some scratches all over my arm but maybe lying on the floor and not moving much so they can stay cool is the answer

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well thanks and i did see the fearsome predator in one of my cats but the other is okay, i got my finger bit with some scratches all over my arm but maybe lying on the floor and not moving much so they can stay cool is the answer
They are so much individuals that one can tolerate much more than other indeed, but all of them are so incredible fast! :D

Can you put some large water bowl or kind of tub near the fan? Moving air causes water to evaporate faster and when water evaporates it does cool the surrounding air, this means that air fan moves will be cooler, one can put even some ice to water.

Problem is that too much evaporation and indoor air becomes lot more humid, it is bad for house and temperature will feel hotter, so there is a limit how much one can use that trick, also ventilation in house should be good so that moist air could get out.

Btw, I did imitate my cats when it was really hot hear, lying on back not moving, under the tree, heat wave did not feel all that bad, with small wind it was actually quite nice, as long as I could avoid moving, which of course was not long. Cats are probably much smarter in that temperature control thing than us :D

furry favor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i got another idea i will tape some iced bottles to the fan and when they melt the water will stay in the bottle and the fan will still be giving cool air, well gotta go pop some water bottles in the freezer

furry favor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thing are going just fine thanks to you and my cat won't leave the royal spot right infront of the cool air. You helped me alot thankyou