How fast does tumors grow

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone. I have a 6 month old kitten, and like an hour ago I discovered she has a hard lump under her jaw. Its pretty big, I can see it clearly 6 feet apart from her. It wasn't there this morning, or at least I didn't noticed it, but I think I would have. I don't know. It's ten at night now. I'll take her to the vet first thing in the morning, but I'm going crazy right now. Is it possible she grow a tumor in a few hours? I searched online and the first thing that pops out are swollen glands and lymphomas. I'm really scared. She seems fine, plays and eats normally. Does anyone have something like this happened to their cats? Any information is helpful, please.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given her age, the location and how quickly it has grown, a swollen gland or abcess is more likely then cancer/tumor. If she will tolerate it, hold a warm compress against it for a few minutes at a time until you can see a vet. For any situation that will help with any pain or swelling. Resist the urge to squeeze it or pop it. If it does start leaking, keep it as clean as you can and don't allow her to scratch it (a paper plate with a hole in the middle makes a great emergency cone). Your vet will likely do a prik test to see what leaks out when poked and determine what it is.

Deep breaths. The most likely scenario is also relatively simple to treat with proper care and antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! So I took her to the vet this morning, and she wasn't completely sure what it is, because the location and the size are rare. She mentioned a couple of things, but nothing about tumors. So she gave Gina antibiotics and anti-inflammatory injections, and now, almost ten hours later, the lump is a lot smaller. It is still there, but a third of the size it was this morning. I have to take her again tomorrow morning. Thank you for replying, I really was freaking out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That it responded us a good indicator that it is some sort of immune response for some irritant. Hopefully the vet figures it out or it goes away. Sometimes the best we can do is see something resolve itself and never know what caused it. My girl once had an eye that wouldn't dilate, we ruled out every possible cause without delving into MRIs or CT scans. Then it got better all on its own. Still one of life's mysteries.

I can't tell you the number of times I debate about seeing the emergency vet or waiting for my vet. Or the number of times I am worrying about it being something major but it turns out to be minor. Although the time Links eye was sealed shut with blood was probably the scariest (he got a scratch right above the eye, a mm down and it would have been the eye). I swear my boy is a trouble magnet. I kid you not, his vet has his photo in her phone and will squeeze me in any day if she hears her boy hurt himself. She was really worried last time because with COVID I couldn't go in and her boy wasn't himself without me there. He's just more confident with Mom there to watch after him. But yeah, that's how much trouble he gets in that his vet knows him by name at the age of 7.

Anyways, point is never worry here about freaking out about things. It's hard when they can't tell us what's wrong or what happened. It can be scary but most of the time it will be okay. Hope she keeps healing and is better soon.

Edit for random thought. If you use plastic bowls, switch to glass or metal. It could be an infected chin acne response. Some cats are sensitive to dirt that can collect on plastics and will get basically acne. If she's extra sensitive a spot could flair fairly dramatically. Doesn't hurt to try if you use plastic dishes.

Last edited: