how far along is my baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey well kittens looks good however weights have been funny so I al buying new scales tomorrow just to be sure didnt manage to get scales till 8 pm yesterday from my mum and they weighed 100g, 103g 115g 74 g 109g then due to the runt being a lot smaller I weighed him again this morning and he weighed 69 g so rang vet I was ready to supploment along side mum but they said wait. now 24 hrs before first weigh in same order 110g 123g 117g 72g 106g x

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey well kittens looks good however weights have been funny so I al buying new scales tomorrow just to be sure didnt manage to get scales till 8 pm yesterday from my mum and they weighed 100g, 103g 115g 74 g 109g then due to the runt being a lot smaller I weighed him again this morning and he weighed 69 g so rang vet I was ready to supploment along side mum but they said wait. now 24 hrs before first weigh in same order 110g 123g 117g 72g 106g x
I would definately start supplementing the runt straight away. I was advised to feed my Felix because he wasnt gaining much weight and he weighed 116g. Regardless to what the vet said, do what you feel you should be doing.I started supplementing Felix during the day and letting mama do her job at night and it paid off. It can only help! Start him off with about 2mls (due to him being so small) and let him eat until he's full. If you are using a syringe be very careful and only put one drop in his mouth at a time, also make sure you put it in his cheek and not directly down his throat! It's time consuming but worth it. I may have to start supplementing Felix again as of tomorrow, he's not gained much over last few days!

Good Luck! :-)

Last edited:

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See i knew i should as have done this all before with lexi i know when i need to inteevene but it was out of hours they even tried telling me how a cat makes them go toilet I was like i know how to i have handreared before also number 5 has lost 3 g but unsure if its the scales there all feeding and sleeping which is good x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you clearly see he is eating from mom, you can perhaps wait.   Let him eat when the bigger ones are sleeping.

Or even,  Catwoman707  come with an interesting advce:  prepare an extra little nest for them.  Have a  low heat heating pad in a corner.

And put there the two biggest when they have eaten, so let them sleep there.  OR rotate the biggest in there.

This way the smallest have a much better chance to nurse directly from the mom.

But otherwise, yes, I too would think on some extra feeding.  With a dropper in the beginning.  Tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouths.

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks yeh i agree knew i was right to be thinking so have been making sure runt gets a good time on nipple by supporting and making sure cow doesnt get bullied off. Dont have a heating pad as i dont like them i used water bottles with mum :) won't used a syringe they seem to dangerous have dropper and.bottles for when there a bit older incase they need help. Thank you x

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks yeh i agree knew i was right to be thinking so have been making sure runt gets a good time on nipple by supporting and making sure cow doesnt get bullied off. Dont have a heating pad as i dont like them i used water bottles with mum :) won't used a syringe they seem to dangerous have dropper and.bottles for when there a bit older incase they need help. Thank you x
If you have a dropper that is best, I used a syringe because that's all I had and I hated every bit of it. I bought a bottle but he wasn't able to suckle from it!

Last edited:

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeh bottles are hard to get them to suckle from took lexi a couple of days but she was that week I had to get milk down her asap so she had to learn very quickly the syringes round here were huge bought from chemist but at a week old they were too big for lexi let alone these babies. also the risk of aspirating is too high in my opinion and can cause things like phnemonia which isnt good at all x

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeh bottles are hard to get them to suckle from took lexi a couple of days but she was that week I had to get milk down her asap so she had to learn very quickly the syringes round here were huge bought from chemist but at a week old they were too big for lexi let alone these babies. also the risk of aspirating is too high in my opinion and can cause things like phnemonia which isnt good at all x
Yes this is exactly why I was so nervous about it!

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do i know mum os stimulating babies ? All putting weight on and look great x

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will do it after feeding, don't worry she will be doing it. I didn't think Tigger was doing it because I never see any marks on bedding or anything. Even to this day I still don't see anything on the bedding.

How are they doing? are they all gaining weight on their own or are you have to supplement any of them?

Last edited:

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just checking as I thought shouldn't I feel something or see it they doing great all putting on weight only had to do a little bit of supplilenting and i have been helping mom feed making sure there all getting a nipple and are on long enough doesnt stop them trying to fight over the same nipple two of lexis nipples were underdeveloped due to her past I'm guessing but there is still an extra one for them x

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha bless, because Tigger had a cesarean I thought she only had 4 nipples, so I constantly trying to get Felix on one of them. I didn't realise he found 4 other nipples that he likes better haha.

I still check her nipples everyday to make sure she is still lactating from all of them just in case lol!

mommybear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aww hes a beauty, well lexi is black and white dad is white and black, my babies have started opening their eyes!! So beautiful there not as crying when picking them up now and i get proper cuddles where they fall asleep on me whilst mum eats :) weights have all evened out all putting between 15 -20+ grams a day on :)