How does your cat let you know they want fed?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
At 5 am or so Ole will start up with with the most god awful howling you have ever heard.  My alarm is set for 6 but I don't know why I even bother.  By the way,
When you have a cat, you don't need an alarm clock ..........:lol3:
My boy is my alarm clock :D

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, Angel decides if she wants wet food or dry.  To "ask" for dry food, she lays in front of the pantry door and sticks out one of her legs to grab my ankle as I walk by.  When she wants wet food, she tries to help herself by opening the cabinet door.  She hasn't succeeded in getting the door completely open yet, but the continuous banging of the cabinet door when we are in bed, makes her very happy.

rissaroo1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, he likes to play fetch! That's hilarious! [emoji]128514[/emoji] You should try to catch video of it!

Our Sophie was a little underweight when we got her, so we were pretty generous with food. But she caught up quickly and is starting to get a tubby tummy, so we started rationing her. She still gets a good amount still, dry food only, 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening around dinner time. She only just graduated from adolescent cat to adult cat and was a runt so small in stature.

Anyways, if her dish is empty and she wants food, her first step is to sit by it and look down at it sadly, as if waiting for the food to magically appear.

Now to put her next phase in context, you should know that our 1 bedroom apartment is pretty small, and there's not much choice on her dish location. It's kind of next to this narrow choke point between the living and kitchen areas.

Anyways, she'll start running and stopping in front of your feet as you try to walk past, to try to make you stop. I've come close to tripping over her if I don't notice soon enough!

Then if that fails, she'll start pouncing your feet and legs if you try to walk past without feeding her. Usually shell snag a claw into my pants, forcing me to stop. Occasionally she'll miss though and you'll get a claw suprize on your feel or ankles! Never enough to hurt bad or draw blood, but enough to give you a surprised jump!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little iita screams with very loud and piercing voice while staring at me with huge eyes, sound that tiny being makes is such that I would rather listen hours of nails on chalkboard.

After being fed and entertained she then gets very tired and acts as a sweetest thing there is, often nap attack surprising her middle of observing job, she has had bit of flu kind symptoms lately so bit less screaming and more sleeping:

Then there is Tiger, brother of Little iita, who does yelling part too, but with completely different vocabulary, not piercing but funny and he adds bumping with his neck to my leg to that, also does a stare and kind of tilts his head from side to side which makes him look so hilarious that I always burst to laugh and give in. He is such a fool and sometimes he runs to legs so that he rubs his side next to leg, several times he has got his paw stomped onto as he does that even when it is dark and I'm walking so he makes me tumble, his brain just is not the brightest but he makes that up with big heart and passion.

Tiger also uses his front paws like human uses hands, also reaches towards anything I have in my hands with his extended paw and swinging that paw while making noises and staring, it is his way of saying gimme, gimme!

Miuku does silent sitting and staring with added rub against the leg if needed.

Mouku does not beg really, but if overly stimulated he might let out very quiet, thin and muted whistle kind of sound, but only very shortly and only twice, then when adding food to his cup, Mouku comes and bumps with his big head really hard so usually food ends up on floor.

None of them have patience as a virtue, at first moment they observe food appearing to cup they put their head in and start a eating race, "this food is going to run out any moment now!" You better keep fingers away from those Tasmanian devils which they turn right when acquiring food target.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to always shuffle when walking in the house in the dark, so as not to step on anyone.  And I have a flashlight by the bed, for the same purpose.
 The cat whose pic you just posted is gorgeous!  Not sure who it is, though? Tiger or Little iita?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to always shuffle when walking in the house in the dark, so as not to step on anyone.  And I have a flashlight by the bed, for the same purpose.:nod:  The cat whose pic you just posted is gorgeous!  Not sure who it is, though? Tiger or Little iita?
One in pic is Little iita, you can see her brother Tiger here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forum/newestpost/330648

Greatest challenges with Tiger are at outdoors, it does help to have a good light, but he still does this stealth attach from behind and turns around the leg while I'm taking a step or just starts bump/rub thing when I'm already shifted my weight and putting feet down, all of sudden out of nowhere there is cat under the leg as he makes his sneak attack from behind, usually it is best just to drop whatever I'm carrying when Tiger is spotted and pick Tiger to be carried instead.

candicew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding them when I get in the am and when the kids eat dinner themselves. So they have adapted quite easily to that schedule and the second I get out of bed they start bugging me for food LOL

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

First, Angel decides if she wants wet food or dry.  To "ask" for dry food, she lays in front of the pantry door and sticks out one of her legs to grab my ankle as I walk by.  When she wants wet food, she tries to help herself by opening the cabinet door.  She hasn't succeeded in getting the door completely open yet, but the continuous banging of the cabinet door when we are in bed, makes her very happy.
 I love when the cats try to grab ankles!  The banging of the cabinet door, well ...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:lol3:  I love when the cats try to grab ankles!  The banging of the cabinet door, well ...:flail:
Your cats must be real hungry with the banging of cabinet doors. Or is it they grabbed your ankles too hard and you are in pain and you bang the cabinet doors? :think: ............:lol3: ........:flail:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I go to bed the cats have one last round of food(then remaining food goes into 2 bowls go up so they can nibble through the night). Every evening the living room cats start to move nearer to me in a kind of circle. If I get up from my chair or couch they all rush to the kitchen, meowing for they're last set down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Before I go to bed the cats have one last round of food(then remaining food goes into 2 bowls go up so they can nibble through the night). Every evening the living room cats start to move nearer to me in a kind of circle. If I get up from my chair or couch they all rush to the kitchen, meowing for they're last set down.
I'm having visions of a scary kitty mass stalking routine as they circle you as their prey, closely followed by stampede.  

Bed time sounds like the stuff of nightmares in your home.  

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm having visions of a scary kitty mass stalking routine as they circle you as their prey, closely followed by stampede.  

Bed time sounds like the stuff of nightmares in your home.  
Noooo, it's adorable
. Sangha is usually the instigator. He'll start rubbing my legs then sprawl out on the floor.

As we speak, it's 23:02 CET here, Minoush is behind me, behind her Sangha is eyeing the kitchen, Meissie is on the couch, Thirteen lying on a stool next to my desk and Peaches up on the scratching post. If I get up now they will go to the kitchen.

I need to tell you guys about the different groups. It's the way this house functions with al it's residents.

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ary rubs against anything and anyone in the kitchen. Then, if she decides she can't wait, she scratches the container of kibble until I get annoyed.It makes feeding on a schedule difficult haha.

Cookie lies down right where the tile of the kitchen and the carpet of the rest of the house meet. Sometimes he meows.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They meow but usually they don't let me know. They know the alarm beeping in the am means feeding and dinnertime at night means feeding.

I have to schedule feed Kabby or he would eat until he threw up. He wolfs his food down.