How does it work? (possibly wanting to adopt but unsure about current cat)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Jack is about 10 months old. We love him like our own child, but we have though about adding a second cat to the household. We found Jack at about 10 weeks old--all alone. He didn't get the normal kitten socialization (he bites too hard--even though he doesnt' mean to) and we thought that bringing another cat might aid in learning some manners.

We want what is best for Jack. We do go on weekend trips often--and my parents come and feed and water. But I feel bad leaving him with no one to play with.

My husband isn't sure if he wants to have a 2 cat household. However, today we visited a great kitty at the local petsmart whom we both like very much. He possesses many characteristics we are looking for. He talks, allows belly rubbing, is medium haired and close in age to our Jack. We don't feel though that 10 minutes of time with him allows us to see if he is right for our home.

Do shelters allow a trial period so to speak? I mean could we adopt but be given like 3 weeks to see if this new cat really fits our household?

Or perhaps should we try and foster a cat?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks
Leslie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmmm... I know our rescue doesn't allow "trial periods", but if the new cat and Jack are not getting along, w/ our group, you bring the new cat back to us.

Fostering is not a bad idea at all... just be warned that you are likely to get VERY attached to the foster animal.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is rather stressful for a cat to get a home, a good home and then be given back. Some cats hate each other and then it is better for the cat to be taken back. Then it is not all that great for the cat.
You kind of have to take a chance.
But fostering is an option too so you can see how Jack gets along with others.

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting a second cat was the best thing we ever did for our first cat. We adopted him when he was 4 weeks old, and (like yours) not well socialized. In fact, to this day he's the most skittish of our 3 cats. However bringing our 2nd cat home brought him out of his shell. It took around a month for him to stop being scared of her, and probably 2 months for them to actually play together. Now though (a year later) I wouldn't split them up for the world. They love each other to bits, and the shy, quiet, scared little kitten we adopted is long gone.

Id absolutely recommend getting a second kitten, but 3 weeks is not long enough. I don't approve of returning kittens after adoption after any length of time, but then Ive been lucky and my 3 cats all took 2 months or less to get along.