How does Feline Pine Work?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im curious as to how Feline Pine works? If its a pellet litter, how does it absorb the pee, and how would you scoop that out? Im looking at different litters and im a little hesitant on switching.

I looked at Cats Pride after getting some good reviews from the members, but I looked at the litter and I dont see how it could clump. It looks like the special kitty litter I first bought

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I use Feline Pine. It is pine pellets and it dont clump. when they pee the pine pellets turn into saw dust. and when they poop you just scoop it out when it has all turned to saw dust you just empty the box. It is a little hard to scoop the poop out. But I love it because when they pee you dont get the pee smell through your house that with alot of litter you get it smells like pine. I have 5 cats and when you walk in my house you would not know I had even one cat unless you see the cats or the litter box. For me its a good choice but alot of people dont like it because it is harder to scoop the poop out. and it does last a long time with my 5 cats I have 2 litter boxes and I empty them out once a week. and it only takes a inch of litter in the bottom of the box and then breaks down to saw dust to make a hole box full. a 20 pound bag of feline pine last me almost a month and thats with 5 cats.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Pine is wonderful stuff. Your house smells like fresh pine (and your car too when you buy it) and not that urine ammonia smell you get with clay litter. I HATE clay litter. I use Feline Pine and just tried Yesterday's News with the scent that just came out, but when this is done I am going back to Feline Pine. I love it. I don't have a problem scooping the poop, I don't know why there would be a problem with that. But the pee just turns to sawdust and you leave it until the majority of the box is sawdust. Sometimes if part of the box is all sawdust I will scoop that part out but otherwise I mix it all together and flush the poop. I HIGHLY recommend Feline Pine!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use it and love it! No litter smell at all and it's totally flushable!

We went out of town and the cat sitter misread my note and ended up dumping the whole box out and refilling it (and she really filled it up), so this month it is costing more than normal, but regularly I can keep a 20 pound bag for at least one and a half to two months.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just started using FP!

So far it works good! I like that it truly does turn to sawdust and it's not like a wet mushy sawdust either... As for scooping poo it is a little difficult- especially if you are using just a normal scoop that litter sifts through. The pellets are way to big so you have to kind of shimmy shake them off

We bought a small bag first to try and I noticed that they have a little offer on the back where you can send in $3 and they'll send you a wider slotted scoop. I think I'm gonna give it a try- maybe it will be big enough for the pellets to fall through.

We bought two huge 20# bags on Monday, which came to $20 but there is a $5 rebate on them so it will only be $15 for 40#'s and I think that is going to last us a loooooooong time- way longer than clay litter!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very cool, I had no idea that was the way Feline Pine worked. When I first went to switch litters I looked it over but wasnt sure on it, since I was originally looking for a clumping litter.

I think they only have the small bags at Walmart so I think i'll get 2 just to start off. I am loving it already!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to Walmart today during my lunch hour and bought two 7 pound bags of Feline Pine. It says that a 7lb bag is 4 weeks worth of litter. I cant believe how amazingly cheap it was! I paid 4.11 per bag.

Also, I read on the back that you are only supposed to put in 1 inch of pellets? Is this true? Oh and is mixing really necessary? All I have of Ceci's old litter is whats already in the box and its turning yucky and I really want to throw that out and give the bix a good cleaning.

Thanks!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I had to do it again I wouldn't waste my time mixing the FP with the old litter. Now it definetely depends on your fuzzles and if they tolerate change well- we don't have problems with that around here.

When you mix them it really just turns into a yucky mess once they start using it. I think it's the clumping/non clumping combination that makes it so weird

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

If I had to do it again I wouldn't waste my time mixing the FP with the old litter. Now it definetely depends on your fuzzles and if they tolerate change well- we don't have problems with that around here.

When you mix them it really just turns into a yucky mess once they start using it. I think it's the clumping/non clumping combination that makes it so weird
lol thats what I was thinking.

I know when she first came home I made the godawful newbie mistake of buying Special Kitty Litter
and it was horrible. I was freaking out thinking she hadnt urinated in days and it was that the litter would clump and all pee traveled to the bottom. So I went out to Walmart and bought Arm & Hammer stuff and just dumped and started fresh.

I was debating mixing since its such a difference between clumping and pellets. Lets see how she deals!

jwinston33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It took Lucky a few days to get the hang of things. He's a pretty low squater when he pees, and with FP he can push it off to the side and pee on the exposed bottom of the litter box. The problem with this is that he winds up urinating on himself. I found when I put more FP in the box, this doesn't happen. Currently, I put about two inches, and i actually choose to scoop every day, but I'm gonna give this entire "leave it till its sawdust" thing a try.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long should a batch of FP work? I am getting a bit worried, its only been 4 days since I put in the litter (about 2 inches) and the majority is already dust!!!!

I thought the bag is a '4 week supply'? And Ceci doesnt even use the box that much!

How much does an average batch/bag last?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like she's peeing a lot. That stuff should last longer. I don't use it, but have a client who does, and we certainly don't have to change it in a week.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

How long should a batch of FP work? I am getting a bit worried, its only been 4 days since I put in the litter (about 2 inches) and the majority is already dust!!!!

I thought the bag is a '4 week supply'? And Ceci doesnt even use the box that much!

How much does an average batch/bag last?
Hmmm... I'm beginning to have the same sort of problem! We have 2 boxes for three cats- and they mainly use only the one box as their first choice, so it's always worse. Anyway, I've been getting a ton of sawdust too! All of my cats are heavy drinkers
which explains them peeing a lot but I thought this stuff was supposed to last longer. I feel like I'm going through it faster than regular clumping litter!

fecker22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have 4 cats, 3 that use the litter tray and we buy 30 liter bags for about £8. best thing that works for us is to only put about an inch depth in and scoop twice a day and change the whole tray every other day.... its a super sized tray. seems to last much longer this way, less smell etc

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you get the Feline Pine litterbox or make one like it the whole system works A LOT better. I was having problems with the litter going fast and almost switched to a different litter. Once I bought the box my bag of litter (the big one) lasted months.

I don't follow the inch guideline because I feel there's not enough FP for my cat to dig in. I usually put in 2 or 3 inches of FP.

mckernon22483

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I seen a thing where you use a double pan litter box the inner pan having holes that the "sawdust" falls through

chibster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy Feline Pine as well as Blue Buffalo walnut pellets litter!  Everyone beat me to it hehe but they're great! I like buying them instead of those clay dusty litters!