How does D.E. work?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I know the answer to this question is probably on here somewhere, but I am too strapped for time to search right now.

How exactly does DE (diotamaous earth - sorry, don't know the correct spelling) work? I've used flea spray for my carpets - it worked pretty well last year, but this year my vet doesn't have it. (Two cats go out - and fleas must be getting immune to Frontline - it doesn't work like it used to)

I thought perhaps I would try this stuff - I assume it's natural, non-toxic, etc. etc. Do you simply sprinkle it on everything and it kills fleas - all stages? I only needed to spray last year a couple of times and it seemed to do the trick, if the cats were any indication. Come Fall they knocked off the scratching for the most part.

I'd try this if I know it's worth buying. Can anyone help?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Diatomaceous earth is absorbed into their exoskeletons and removes the lipids causing them to dehydrate. I had problems with ants invading the cat bowls (it doesn't help that they are messy eaters). I packed DE under the baseboards where they were coming out and then put a saucer of DE under the food bowls. The ants seem to be gone this year.

I did have a problem finding food-grade DE in my local area and ended up ordering it online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, katachtig. Is "food grade" the way I want to go? Is there another kind I should avoid? I don't want to poison my kitties - or any of those babies I care for (not necessarily in that order). I figured I'd order it online as well. NOBODY close by here sells that kind of stuff, that I'm aware of.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes - food grade means that it is safe around you and the cats. All of the gardening places had a type of DE that required a warning to keep away from pets. Hardly the stuff that I want to put near their food bowls.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most feed stores will carry a food grade DE as it is popular for treating intestinal parasites in livestock.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise