How does cat act during treatment of fatty liver?

llswartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been force feeding my kitty for three weeks now, giving him pate and water syringe feedings about 4-6 times a day. He’s been extremely lethargic and not himself. However, the jaundice has definitely improved and sometimes he does seem *somewhat* ok. I just don’t know how long it takes before you start seeing improvement? We wanted to try force feeding ourselves before a feeding tube but I’m starting to wonder if you see improvement more quickly on the tube… if you have experience with this can you provide some info? We love him so much and it’s so painful to see him like this. Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hek had not gone into FULL fatty liver, it was incipient. I syringe fed her, as well, and started seeing some improvement in behavior around the third or fourth week. I cannot speak to how quickly things go with a tube, though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have been force feeding my kitty for three weeks now, giving him pate and water syringe feedings about 4-6 times a day. He’s been extremely lethargic and not himself. However, the jaundice has definitely improved and sometimes he does seem *somewhat* ok. I just don’t know how long it takes before you start seeing improvement? We wanted to try force feeding ourselves before a feeding tube but I’m starting to wonder if you see improvement more quickly on the tube… if you have experience with this can you provide some info? We love him so much and it’s so painful to see him like this. Thank you!
Often fatty liver is caused by something else, and unless that is treated, the issue can remain. So, what did the Vet think caused the issue in the first place? Did they do any treatments, just in case? Like any antibiotics? Did they give you any liver supplements to help it heal? Have you had him back to the Vet in the last month? It's good that his jaundice i improving, but I would think he might be showing more energy, etc by now. Hard to say though, not knowing what brought it on in the first place. One of my cats developed this condition years ago and was on a feeding tube for four months, but if memory serves, he showed a great deal of improvement before that time. (that was probably 25 years ago - long time to recall back)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree the underlying cause will determine a lot. My cat had it and the underlying cause was undiagnosed IBD. Recovery can be very slow. It took Patches about two weeks to start eating on his own and four weeks to fully recover but I think that was faster than average.

The underlying cause may not even be a medical issue. Fatty Liver is caused by a cat not eating which may or may not be a medical issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

llswartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hek had not gone into FULL fatty liver, it was incipient. I syringe fed her, as well, and started seeing some improvement in behavior around the third or fourth week. I cannot speak to how quickly things go with a tube, though.
I agree the underlying cause will determine a lot. My cat had it and the underlying cause was undiagnosed IBD. Recovery can be very slow. It took Patches about two weeks to start eating on his own and four weeks to fully recover but I think that was faster than average.

The underlying cause may not even be a medical issue. Fatty Liver is caused by a cat not eating which may or may not be a medical issue.

llswartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. It means so much. I think we’ll be taking him back to the vet to try to figure out more. Thanks again!

llswartz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise