How do you volunteers do it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I *really* want to volunteer, but so far no one seems to want me there! I've called the DDFL three times and left three separate messages, no response. Then I called a no-kill cat shelter here, and again, nothing. Maybe they look at me and think "Oh, irreponsible barely-out-of-her-teens *****" or something.. Hmm. I will keep trying.

I even offered to foster kittens, since my cat, Trina, is so darned maternal that every time she hears kittens crying on Animal Planet, she runs into the room and stares at the TV for half an hour. But again, nothing. Are they really hurting for volunteers that badly?

I just hope that I can have the strength to see it through. =(

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they are not as organized as they could be. Keep calling or even stop by. They could be busy since it is kitten season.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most places are run by volunteers and it can take a while to get the message to the right person - if you call the shelter you get an office volunteer who may or may not give the message to anyone.

As bad as it sounds, sometimes shelters are a little wary of people who call asking about fostering before getting involved elsewhere, kittens occasionally go missing and not all places do homechecks even for fosters.

Have you filled out their online volunteer app?

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fiery

I just hope that I can have the strength to see it through. =(
I started fostering last fall and have found it to be very rewarding but also stressful at times.

If you find it too difficult to work with the animals themselves, there are many other ways to help as icklemiss21 said. What really bothered me when I looked at the pictures at the shelter was the fact that the cats are lying on newspaper in cages, so I asked if they would use beds or mats if I made them. So I make beds, padded mats and catnip toys for the cats (I love to sew). Even some old towels from Value Village can make a difference. It makes my day when I get an email from one of the shelter workers who tells me that they watched the cats playing with their catnip toys for an hour and seemed so happy. She also sends me pictures of them sleeping in the beds I made instead of on a cage floor. I know I can't save many, it's a high-kill shelter, but I try to make their lives a little more comfortable

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep calling, many of these places (Especially the no-kill) are run by all volunteers and they are trying their best to keep up with the kitties needs, and all of the administrative work.

As far as why I do it, the list of names is too long to put here. The two names that say it best are Baron and Baggehra. Baron is a big sweet guy, that came to us in a live trap. He was feral and terrified. He was agressive, but now he feels safe. He is our masscot and is the only cat allowed out of his cage during open house hours. He sits very nicely on a cat tree and lets all the visitors pet him. He is a great example of a rehabed feral cat. Baggehra is my current love/project. He is a big sweet siamese 9 years old, left in a carrier at our door. He is sweet but terrified. I can just see the heart break in his eyes. I wrote a poem a couple years ago that says it best of all:

A Rescuer’s Love Poem

Don't ask how many cats I've loved.
The number can’t be counted.
My heart grows daily with each one I meet.

Some tiny babies, some slowed from age.
The spoiled, the forgotten, the feral.
Those turned aggressive from a lifetime of abuse.
Even a pedigree or two.

I've been angry, cried tears of joy.
I rejoice for each new home.
I will miss some forever, but can never forget even one.

Some say I'm crazy, most just smile and laugh.
They don't understand why I should give so much.
None of that matters.

Each tear,
Each shout of joy has purpose.
Each furry little face will look upon love at least once in a life.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rocky Mountain Alley Cat Alliance is another organization you might consider helping. http://www.rmaca.org/

I like that they do heavy Spay/neuter which is what is going to keep the future shelter population down.

It is something that may not expose you to all the shelter kitties, but I have to say street kitties can tear your heart just as deeply.

The bottom like is like everyone said, you are making a difference.