How Do You Treat URIs When Cat Doesn't Eat?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4+ y/o feral has a URI with clear eye and nasal discharge. It may be secondary to a wound she received to the side of her head. I've been giving her 50 mg Amoxicillin every 12 hrs for a week, but then she quickly went downhill and has disappeared before I could trap her. I'm hoping she comes back. This is the second time she's disappeared in a two week period, which is unusual.

If I can get her to the vet, is a Convenia injection the best option if she's not eating and I can't medicate her. I'm aware of the reported risks, but I don't know how else to get medicine in her. I want to make sure I have a plan if she comes back.

Also, she may need blood work. Any recommendations on what things (phosphorus, calcium, etc.) I should get checked? I want the cheap blood work, but I don't want to skimp on important things. Obviously, CBC is important in this case. The vets aren't good about getting the best blood work. The owner did blood work on my 22 y/o cat with kidney failure without checking phosphorus and calcium. WTH?!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she comes back, is there a way you can confine her in your home, bathroom, laundry room, or garage until she's better? If she's not eating, get some wet food (Fancy Feast classic pates work great), add a little bit of warm water and mix it together to make a thick slurpy or oatmeal consistency. The heat enhances the aroma. A convenia shot might be a good option, but I'm not a fan of them. I don't know that she needs bloodwork at this point unless it's just to check general white blood cell counts for an infection.