How Do You Think You Would Do?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a doomsday prepper or anything, but I do love a good show/movie/documentary on apocalyptic events (whether fake, like zombies or possible like climate events). I like to think that I would do pretty good in a situation where there is no power or amenities and you have to fend and protect yourself from looters and the such. I have medical experience, we camp all the time, so I have a lot of gear and supplies, I'm a sale shopper so I have quite a good stock on various non perishable items and know how to forage (I was a scout), we have hunting equipment, my husband is a pretty good shot and we live near the bush. I'm also pretty good with a bow and arrow even though I've never hunted in my life, I've just always loved archery.
So all in all, I think I could survive....How about you?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A doomsday scenario suits the US and similar places better than the UK methinks because of the areas of wilderness and not least your ability to obtain firearms for hunting and fending off the baddies. Those baddies always rear their ugly heads during an apocalypse film and they probably would for real too.
I'd last as long as there are baked beans in the cupboard.
An interesting point I heard once was that the most likely people to survive the Holocaust longest were the poor who were used to physically hard work with the least food in their pre-Holocaust days whereas the well fed middle class succumbed more quickly. You'd think the excess fat would have helped them survive longer but apparently not.
So, in preparation, get a back-breaking job and eat little. That's me a gonna then when the day comes.:(

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would last about 30 seconds. I was thinking about this after I watched a bit of the of The Hunger Games this morning.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm not a doomsday prepper or anything, but I do love a good show/movie/documentary on apocalyptic events (whether fake, like zombies or possible like climate events). I like to think that I would do pretty good in a situation where there is no power or amenities and you have to fend and protect yourself from looters and the such. I have medical experience, we camp all the time, so I have a lot of gear and supplies, I'm a sale shopper so I have quite a good stock on various non perishable items and know how to forage (I was a scout), we have hunting equipment, my husband is a pretty good shot and we live near the bush. I'm also pretty good with a bow and arrow even though I've never hunted in my life, I've just always loved archery.
So all in all, I think I could survive....How about you?
Ahh...a subject near and dear to my heart!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
once my meds ran out, I would be gone. BP meds are the most important (I take 3 a day) My PKD pushed my BP up ( one of the signs of having it). If not for that, I might last a while. Country boy here with an engineering background.
Truthfully brother if it was an end of the world situation I wouldn't want to spend 6 months fighting for my life when there's no hope of real survival.
If it was just a movie, or a game, I'd have way too much fun with it :thumbsup:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a time in my life when I would have done quite well, but now I'm an old f**t, and wouldn't survive a minute.
~ Ah yes ... But us "older folks" have nothing to lose and will go out in a blaze
of glory that will scare the -
- out of the thugs and " youngsters " . :hellocomputer:

HAVE NO FEAR - THE END IS NEAR !
:):party2::dazzler:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a 'doomsday prepper', but I am a believer in Si vis pacem, para bellum. Or; to keep the peace, prepare for war. Add to that, my (long ago) military training, and Michele's medical experience, and the fact we both were farm kids. We would probably do all right.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd do alright if somebody could hook up a generator for me to take a shower.
Shower??? Growing up, us kids took baths in a wash tub, with water heated on the wood stove, although sometimes, in warm weather, we would use the rain barrel.