How do you "Teach" a cat to fetch?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Picasso loves it when I throw toys for her, but it is getting tiring for me to get up and collect the toys to toss them again!

How do you "teach" a cat how to fetch? What tricks are there for this?

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My big guy, 4 yrs old was the same way...would throw something for him but I would have to go get it to do it again..recently adopted a little guy that is 10 months old..I throw his toy for him, he runs and gets it, brings it back and drops it at my feet...I guess its just a matter of personality?

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats. All three girls will fetch (or did as kittens), but the boy has shown now interest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Seems like its up to the cat, huh?

Picasso brought back the toy ONCE! I Praised her and tossed it again.. never brought it back again, lol. maybe one day she'll pick up on it

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat has taught you to fetch if you're the one going to retrieve it.

I think a lot of it depends on the cat. Turtle first showed an interest every time I wadded up a piece of paper. Her eyes got big and ears perked up. So I started to throw the wads of paper. She would chase it, bat it around a while and stand next to it and look up at me. I'd retrieve it a few times and throw it again.
After I while I just stop getting up and going after it. It took several weeks but she got the message. If she wants to chase it she has to bring it to me.
Now she drives me crazy with it. She brings it to me in bed at 3am, or when I'm "in the bathroom" or as soon as I walk in from work! I think I've created a fetching monster. Oh, and of course, I always praise her when she does it.