How do you separate/store daily portions frozen?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I'm trying to work a good method for storing either individual meal sizes or single day sizes of food. What do you all use? Make a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap? Sandwich ziplocks? Little stackable tupperwares? Something else? 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use ice cube trays, weighing out single meal portions (about 1.1 oz) per cube. Freeze them, then store them in doubled freezer bags. I take out what I need for the next day each morning and store in glass (pyrex) food storage containers in the refrigerator.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do day sized tubs with clip lids.  Saves the plastic a bit (lot)!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a thread with suggestions: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/284287/how-do-you-pack-and-store-your-raw-food

Silicone ice cube trays work well if you plan to pop the frozen cubes out to store in a freezer baggier to save space. There are silicone trays with 2 oz capacity.

If you don't have a lot of freezer space, then portion the food out by the day instead of individual meals.

I use 4 oz Rubbermaid Take Along food storage containers for the raw with pre-mix. For the NV raw medallions, I just put some into a food storage container with a lid and leave in the fridge to defrost.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thanks for the thread link! I have very limited freezer space, so minimizing space is important, but I also don't want to create unecessary waste. Very conveniently for me, my local supermarket carries quite economical commercial pre-mixed frozen raw, so I at least have the advantage that I don't HAVE to store a very large amount at a time.

I do however eventually want to do home-made. I don't anticipate buying a grinder, but my father-in-law has one and would probably love to grind some meat with me since he's lowkey annoyed at me on a continual basis for being a vegetarian.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a 400 (actually a bit less than) sq ft apartment, which comes with a "compact" refrigerator freezer. I did purchase a small table top freezer for raw feeding, it sits on my kitchen table, the only place there is for it.

It doesn't hold much so I still spend an enormous amount of time cutting up meat for raw meals.. If I didn't use freezer bags I wouldn't be able to feed raw.

I double the bags to cut down on freezer burn and moisture loss. The inner bag is reused as an outer bag the next time around. The twice used outer bag is used for wet kitchen trash, and litter box scooping. I think I reuse pretty well, considering my circumstances.

Last edited:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, that picture was from when I was doing individual meals.  Now I put the whole day into that tub (it's a lot fuller now!), because that saved so much time and freezer space.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use small glass containers in two forms, either small glass containers (for daily portions) that use only plastic lids or Mason / Ball glass jars with non-plastic containers. I prefer the former since the Mason / Ball lids tend to rust after a bit of repeated washing (despite letting them air dry).

I don't feel comfortable using any type of plastic to store frozen raw, we are using Rad Cat.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use these  containers. I like them because they come with a little plastic thing so you can stack them nicely in the freezer.