How do you not adopt a bajillion kitties?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have two at this stage, but i would love more!!

Although i think Diesel and Portia would have something to say about it

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hardly enough space for Zissou and me. Living in an urban area and going to school stretches my resources and I have about 500 sq ft, no yard, and a bathroom that has been described as: "It's like peeing on an airplane!" so I don't think another cat would be good for either the addition or for Zissou. Also, my living arrangements are vaguely unstable as I may be in C-bus for five years, or I might be moving across the country at any time, or who knows what. She's pretty adaptable but most cats would be stressed by that. Someday when I have lots of space I would like five cats.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only had around 50 fosters so far, but I just kept them in a separate room til I'm sure they're ok. Tiny kittens don't need a big space anyway. Also my cats were older and didn't really want anything to do with them anyway.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you might be asking wrong person here-i ended up with 22...and thats turning away a lot of the strays i see. All mine are fixed as soon as i get them or if a kit i get it done at 4 months. Vet cost is low as I only get first shots done I don't go for the boosters(i had two issues with cats having reactions and since any new cats I get are kept apart for about a month-recovering from this spay/neuter I don't worry much about disease) I did have a cat go in for a dental last year...same one whos on rx diet for life but in general i have a pretty healthy crew(maybe cause of all the exercise mine get compared to the singleton? Right now I have plans to take a stray boy to vet to be neutered and its going to be everything if i can put him back outside after hes well enough...all black beutiful male....ut oh. bills right now for litter, food, rx food is about 300 a month(i just figured out my new monthly avg as last time i had a few less in and alot less outside strays...lol yes i feed and tnr the ones i can get....

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we only have 2 and 4 dogs
.. Miagi was basically a rescue and so was Tiger.

some lady found Miagi in her basement and couldn't keep him so she gave him to us and Tiger was found on the highway with another cat and these kind people rescued them and decided to foster them and couldn't keep them since they were moving. the guy brought out Tiger first and I told my mom he is ours and the rest is history..
My parents surprised me with Miagi as I have always dreamed of having a cat. we have had dogs all of our lives but I wanted a cat someday and Miagi and Tiger were it.
It seems like we've had them forever.
We got Miagi in 2004 and Tiger in 2005.. Tiger's "gotcha" day is coming up soon.
I am not sure of Miagi's "gotcha" day is, though.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I made a little more money, I would have a bajillion kitties..I am working on talking myself into another already

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are three people with three cats, and that's our limit. With my daughter at school most days, and my husband travelling for work often, I'm the one who does most of the care. I can't see how I could give enough attention and lovin' to more than three!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I decided that we're not going to have any cats while we're living in the US. Oh wait, we have 3 now....

So we suck at it. But 3 is all we're allowed in our city, so 3 is DEFINITELY our maximum!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The apartment complex I live in only allows two pets so I only have two. Even if they allowed more I would be limited by funds. I pay an extra $40.00 a month rent for two, $25.00 for the first and $15.00 for the second so there would be a limit money wise to how many I could have.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

The apartment complex I live in only allows two pets so I only have two. Even if they allowed more I would be limited by funds. I pay an extra $40.00 a month rent for two, $25.00 for the first and $15.00 for the second so there would be a limit money wise to how many I could have.
Our apartment complex requires a $250 pet deposit, and you can have upto 3 cats for that.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at a local cat rescue and work in the adoption center and as an adoption counselor. It is tough not to fall in love with all the kitties, and there have been a couple that would have come home with me but were already adopted. I also know the joy of seeing these wonderful cats adopted to loving homes and I encourage the new "parents" to keep in touch and bring us pics and news of their cats. This does help with being able to interact and love lots of cats (and hang out and meet other "cat people").

Right now, I have one cat who was extremely feral and is just feeling comfortable around the place so I am reluctant to add a new kitty to the mix. But maybe later since I work all day and with the volunteer work she is alone alot sometimes. The one thing I don't think I could do is foster - I think our foster volunteers are incredible and I have the most respect for them. I know I would get way too attached and need to keep the kitties. Fosters are just amazing and everyone should give anyone who foster a great big hug of appreciation

I live in an apartment, so I think two are going to be my limit. But I know I will get another one someday. If I had more room and time, I would absolutely have a "crew". They are just so great.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have two permanent cats cos I only adopt oldies, and I seem to find the ones that look healthy but end up costing me quite a bit of money!! I do foster though, and that helps with any broodiness (one of mine is going to a new home next week, and I am already planning the next one!!), and it also gives me a chance to have young, playful healthy cats, which does help a lot, esp recently with the heartache with my own permanent cats. I sometimes think that fostering allows me to keep helping the oldies. At the moment, I have only adopted one of the 24 cats I have fostered, but it will be 2 this month - but both have been 13yo's who haven't tolerated change very well, so staying somewhere they like is the best thing for them.