• Well Done

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a friend out for a steak dinner the day I got my Samsung Galaxy. She got me out of the remaining 11 months contract on my old phone, so it was my thank you to her.

Anyway, she tends to order her steak very, very well done. It looks like a burnt hockey puck when it arrives at the table and then she complains about how tough it is and how come mine looks so much more tender and juicy (medium rare). And on and on about how she doesn't like steak.  So it's been a struggle to get her to go to a steak house.

The first time we went to this restaurant she had her steak just "well done", I told her to leave out the "very very very",  LOL   I got her to try a bit of my steak (medium rare). And she said it was much more tender than hers. But she didn't like the idea of "raw" meat.  I reminded her that she eats raw fish (Sushi) and that a steak that has some pink in the middle is cooked.

The second time we went, I told her that the reason her steak is so dry and tough is  because it is so over cooked.  I managed to get her to order her steak medium-well.  She found it better.

This last time time we went, she actually told me that she was looking forward to going!  That was a first!!!    This time I got her to try the steak cooked  to medium.  Because it was rather dark in the restaurant she was ok with it, lol  She really, really, really enjoyed that steak.

I'll leave her at medium for the time being because now at least she is enjoying eating steak and understands the appeal!  She even told me that the next time we go, that dinner is on her! So I think she's hooked on that place as much as I am now! 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give me a RARE steak, a good red wine, mashed potatoes and fresh salad on the side and I am in heaven! 
 I'm hungry!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 My dad was a rancher - medium well for me - can't handle blood on my plate.  
I've never known a cowboy who liked rare steak.  There may be some, I just haven't met them.

By the way, the best steak I've ever had was at a little steakhouse in the cattle sale barn in Cleburne, TX.  It was fried in butter, and it was great.  The cook there had an awesome reputation.  And it wasn't expensive, either.

By the way, he had a technique for making rare steak that was hot all the way through.  He'd keep a few steaks on the back of the stove in melted butter, keeping the pan just warm enough to keep the butter melted.  When someone came in and wanted an extremely rare steak, he could pull it out and quick-sear it and give it them.  I saw him get a $100 tip from a very pleased businessman for one of those steaks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, he had a technique for making rare steak that was hot all the way through.  He'd keep a few steaks on the back of the stove in melted butter, keeping the pan just warm enough to keep the butter melted.  When someone came in and wanted an extremely rare steak, he could pull it out and quick-sear it and give it them.  I saw him get a $100 tip from a very pleased businessman for one of those steaks.
That sounds more like a blue steak.  Rare is still cooked in the middle.  What you describe sounds like it would normally be lightly cooked on the outside and cold on the inside; which is blue.

The last steak I had was cooked medium rare but there were parts of it that were pretty rare, and it was enjoyable.  I don't think I could go to actually eating a full steak at rare though. I too don't like blood on my plate.

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The main sticking point for me is temperature and safety. I will eat my beef in whatever condition guarantees that every portion of it has reached 160 degrees. I've just never felt comfortable that rare or medium-rare (or heaven forbid, "blue") would keep me from getting sick.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the cattle ranchers/well done thing. I never thought about it but I can see that happening.  I like burnt on the outside raw in the center if there is such a thing.  I just go medium rare.

I remember when we used to eat raw ground round sandwiches. Burried in raw onion salt and pepper on a buttered roll.  They were good. Those days are gone. (ecoli, ya know)  I have such a craving for them but do I want to tempt fate?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the cut of meat, I tend to prefer it cooked Medium Well. That being said, I find a LOT of restaurants just do not know how to cook a Medium Well steak, so I will often ask for Medium, and it comes out Medium Well. ;)

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About the cattle ranchers/well done thing. I never thought about it but I can see that happening.  I like burnt on the outside raw in the center if there is such a thing.  I just go medium rare.

I remember when we used to eat raw ground round sandwiches. Burried in raw onion salt and pepper on a buttered roll.  They were good. Those days are gone. (ecoli, ya know)  I have such a craving for them but do I want to tempt fate?
Buy a hunk of meat and either rinse with vinegar or throw in boiling water for a few seconds. Bacteria, esp. E. Coli resides on the SURFACE of the meat. Grind the meat.

My understanding is the probability of food poisoning is less than 1/10,000.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie...my husband has searched for years for the way to get what he considered perfect burgers..he finally found the less handling the better (and yes, 80/20 blend for the fat content and/or mix in bacon grease before shaping)..he weighs out 8-9 ounces, rounds into a ball and just before grilling he flattens them. They are fantastic!

Steak - I used to be a rare steak gal  but now that I have a husband, who grills and who now has a really great grill, I like it medium to well :)

Last edited: