How do you know when your cat is in heat?

tlan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, as the title says... how do you know? How early can they get into heats (age)?... this might be somewhere here but my search gave me like 1600 results, so if you got some info please share it. thanks.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can go into heat as early as 5-6 months.
Usually, you'll know, but sometimes there are no outward signs.

Generally, they'll get vocal, sometimes extremely affectionate, restless, and often they'll try anything and everything to get outside.

They do not have to be in heat to get pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tlan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. One of my 2 cats, Sophie 4 months old, is acting really strange since yesterday. She meows all the time, but it is really soft like she is talking to herself. Then she is the less sociable out of the two, but lately she's seeking for us trying to get attention, and rubs her neck against everything.
Besides that she is eating normally and playing from time to time.
Based on your comment I think she might be in heat, but she is only 4 months old. Ironically Cathy, the other one and 6 months, have her app. at the doc on wed for her fixing. We thought that Sophie was still to young for that. Cathy had never acted like Sophie's acting right now.... Any other input would greatly appreciated. THanks again.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really could be anything, it might be a good idea to talk to your vet about her behavior when you take Cathy in on Wednesday.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you press at the base of her tail/lower back and she puts her behind in the air and stamps her feet (and maybe even puts her tail to the side) then she is in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tlan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

If you press at the base of her tail/lower back and she puts her behind in the air and stamps her feet (and maybe even puts her tail to the side) then she is in heat.
Wow! thanks. She is definitely in heat. She puts her behind in the air by herself and stays like that for some time. Amazingly she is only 4 months old. Thank you.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We thought that Sophie was still to young for that.
Cats can be spayed and neutered as early as 6 weeks of age. Napolean was neutered at 4.5 months.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

Cats can be spayed and neutered as early as 6 weeks of age. Napolean was neutered at 4.5 months.
My vet will do it at 8 weeks or 2lbs. I got 3 of my girls done at 12 weeks.

Tlan - It sounds like your girl is in heat, and yes it's possible at 4 months. You need to make sure she doesn't sneak out of the house, you don't want her getting pregnant at her young age.
Also you can speak to your vet about getting her spayed.

amy jo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Rochester NY in a 2 bedroom apartment.
They will spay a kitten at 2lbs ? Isn't that really young? Wow how things have changed, didn't it used to be not until they had their first heat or were 6 months? I am afraid to put my little ones under a general anesthesia so small. Am I living in the last century, my kids say I am

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They will spay a kitten at 2lbs ? Isn't that really young? Wow how things have changed, didn't it used to be not until they had their first heat or were 6 months?
The old wives tale is you should spay them after their first heat, however it doesn't matter and it would save you the trouble if you do it before they ever go into heat. That's like people trying to say you should breed your animal once before spaying because they will have a better temperment, that's usually not the case.

Generally speaking vets say to spay at 6 months because your pet can also get all the shots they need etc, where as if you do a spay/neuter under 12 weeks they still have to come back for a rabies shot.

2lbs is really young, but we do them all the time because we collaborate with a rescue, the doctors make sure they do the surgery as quickly as possible so the kittens aren't under anesthesia for long. A neuter takes like... 5 minutes max? Spays take about 10 minutes.

Most vets if a normal person walks in will not spay your kitten for you under 12 weeks of age at least to my knowledge. I got Napolean done at 4.5 months because I just wanted it over with. I really didn't want to wait it out too long, no point in letting him get too manly :p

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
But of course no neutering during the heat. Wait till afterwards.

The operation more difficult and more risky if during heat.
a british veterinary manual for knowleagle cat-owners I read once put it thourougly with all details. They even said if you not sure when the heat is, let her be mated, and come to us afterwards. Not nice, but STILL much easier then during heat...

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have already heard of vets who neuter cats in heat. They said there was more blood flowing through the area during heat, but nothing more. And letting your cat be mated brings risk of FIV, can't believe veterinarians would advise that.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are actually 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer later in life if spayed before their first heat. I am in the UK, and my vet will spay while they are in heat.