How do you know when 'it's time?'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belong2bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering what I do to post a picture of Bella baby? That is what we call her.:-)

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am wondering what I do to post a picture of Bella baby? That is what we call her.:-)
At the top of the reply box, counting from left starting with source, go to the 8th box, the first icon is an envelope with a mountain on it, click that, at the top of the box, you can click upload files and pull pix off your computer, click open then when you hit submit it will automatically poof into your post. There are probably more technical ways to do this but that's what I use to get pix on here. If you have your photos on photobucket, flicker, I 'think' you'd use the paper clip icon in the 9th square and copy the URL address into the box. If this is gibberish to you, search the forum, how to add picture to post.

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can absolutely understand your frustration, it would be so much easier to make a decision if you knew what you were dealing with. The vet is correct, some cancers don't show. And possibly she doesn't have cancer. Bella baby is 18 years old, her little body may just be wearing out, her organs not able to function at 100% which is causing her decline. If contacting a vet school is not a viable option, then is there another vet near you that can look over her medical history and maybe give you peace of mind?

I should have mentioned this earlier. An autopsy is not a 100% guarantee of diagnosis. Sometimes the results come back with several things wrong but individually and collectively are not enough to say, 100% this is what was wrong. I personally have never done an autopsy on one of my bridge angels only because that info is no longer needed. I felt I did all I could while they were alive, when quality of life is gone and there is nothing else that can be done medically, holding them in my arms on their journey to eternal sleep is my final gift to my beloved furs.

Wishing you strength and peace of heart and mind in the coming days. Keeping you and Bella baby in my prayers

Last edited:

roxanne76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry your sweet Bella is declining. I understand completely, as I just lost my beloved companion of 15 years, Nermal, last week. It is heartbreaking .... and that, for me, isn't a strong enough word. I truly feel your pain, and I am very sorry you are going through this!

Nermal's cancer wasn't officially diagnosed until late September 2016. It didn't show up on any tests. The only thing the blood test DID reveal was a hyperactive thyroid, which also explained the extreme weight loss. I just noticed he had a very runny eye and a tooth that appeared to be loose and it was bloody. Initially the vet said the runny eye might be a herpes virus (no prior symptoms). When I brought him back, as it was getting worse plus the issue with the tooth, they advised that he needed to have the tooth extracted.

They performed x-rays prior to surgery and told me they were concerned about oral cancer, as his jaw was deteriorating. Once he was in surgery, my fears were confirmed. They removed 7 teeth and found a growth that they biopsied. A week later I learned it was squamous cell carcinoma. There is no effective treatment for this aggressive cancer.

I felt like someone shattered my heart. All I could do was love on him every day and keep him comfortable. In the final weeks, he received oral liquid pain medication and finally one night, he took a turn for the worse. He was vomiting and had diarrhea. Eating had also become difficult as the tumor had grown large. My vet also warned that he could start having seizures. I couldn't let my buddy struggle anymore.

He continued to struggle through the pain, not knowing what was happening. He loved his food, got excited when he heard me open a can, and played with the drawstring on my shirt right til the very end. Cats are so tough... they will try to not show they are in pain and will hide when they do.

I held my baby in my arms as he took his last breath. This final act of kindness is truly that, even though it is not easy. I know I will see him again, and he has many furry friends in Heaven, plus some 2-legged friends to keep him company until then.

I have tears as I write this as my sense of loss is still great, and I am feeling your pain as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your beloved Bella. If you have any questions or are looking for more support, please don't hesitate to reach out. *HUGS*

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Op, I'm sorry if you mentioned this but have you tried baby food? I went thru this with my 21 year old and she ate nothing but 3 jars a day of baby food for 5 months.