How do you know when a vet visit is necessary?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread and post an update about Finn. He did go to the vet this morning and made out well
which I am beyond thrilled about!

By this morning, Finnegan had improved dramatically. He had finished all of his kibble and had used his litter pan. He was also back to his rambunctious self -- climbing up my legs, playing with his favorite toys, and running around like a maniac
. But, nonetheless, I wasn't willing to take any chances so my roommate took him and a very long list of questions to the vet this morning at 9:00am.

Finnegan's weight last Friday (the day I brought him home and the date of his first vet check) was 1.9 pounds and, by today, he had gained to 2.1 pounds. That's pretty good in just a couple of days! His temperature was normal and there was very little redness or meatiness of his conjunctiva. However, he's going to remain on the Dexaspor for his eye infection for another 3 days (he gets a small ribbon of ointment in each eye 2x daily). The vet said his chest and lungs sounded good and that there was no evidence of wheezing or symptoms of pneumonia. He had no ocular or nasal discharge and the vet felt that he was suffering from a very mild case of an upper respiratory infection and that it would most likely recover in a couple of days without lasting issues. She still did not want to place him on an antibiotic, but said that if he worsens I can call in and just pick one up -- I wouldn't have to bring him back in.

Basically, my reaction was a bit of an overreaction. But, I am of the better-safe-than-sorry mindset and would rather bring him in to be seen by the vet than wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Plus, since I have a wellness plan for Finn, it costs nothing more than time to take him in to the vet. I don't have to pay office visit fees or vaccine fees. Even his neuter and blood work will cost nothing more out of pocket than my monthly fee (which is very affordable). My only costs are for non-standard tests (which I get a 10% discount on) and medications. In fact, it is such a wonderful plan that I am going to sign my other three cats up at the start of the new year (which is when open enrollment is). But, right now, that's neither here nor there.

So, in short, Finnegan is doing well. I need to take a step back and work on not being such a nervous nelly, but, at the same time, I want to remain vigilant. Finn doesn't have to go back to the vet for another 2 weeks and, at that appointment, he'll receive another round of his kitten vaccines and a basic wellness exam. And, should an emergency arise, I have peace of mind in that I can get him on meds as quickly as possible.

All in all, today was an excellent day and now that I know my baby Finnegan is doing well, I can relax and just enjoy him
! Oh! And, one last thing before I submit this post, the vet feels I can start beginning introductions this weekend. I'm so excited!

All of your posts have been so helpful. I'm so grateful for TCS.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update! It all sounds great!

I am of the better safe than sorry school, also. There isn't a lot I'll wait and see on, though I have garnered enough experience over the years to have more confidence in my own judgment with my own cats than I used to.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yippee!! With a young kitty, like Finn, they can go downhill so much quicker than an older cat, especially one that's malnourished and stressed from a new environment, that better safe than sorry is probably the best approach.

Once he gets a bit older and you know him better, you'll be able to know when it's time to go to the vet and when it's okay to wait and see.

Keep us posted on how he's doing and how the intros go.