How do you know they're TRULY a stray?

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's many 'strays' [at least that's what I refer to them as] around my house. I feed them daily, I peek out my window between different intervals and see different kitties all of the time. Some will let me get close and gently pet them, others won't let me come near them.

With the one's who will let me pet them while they're eating- they've obviously had SOME sort of socialization and are not ferals. I really want to continue to spay/neuter all of the animals around my neighborhood to try and keep the population down. But i'm wondering, what if these are actually someone's pet? Maybe they're not the best pet owner if their kitty is coming to my house for food and is not fixed- but is it possible they have a place they call home even though they come to mine?

I think it might be a little weird if I fix one of them and then the owner is sitting at home scratching their head as to why their kitty is shaved and no longer able to reproduce haha [although they should be thanking me if that was the case!!!]

Any suggestions/info/tips/advice?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi :)!!!! Really a truly feral cat will never, ever approach a human and would absolutely never allow you to touch them. They don't meow or vocalize in your presence. They have had absolutely no human contact and see human's as predator's and something to be feared. A stray cat reverted feral, will approach a home, eat in your presence, and possibly allow you to touch them once they have trust in you as their caretaker. A truly feral cat will never trust you outdoors, even if you have been feeding them for years. Some will accept your presence, and I have had feral cat's eat in my presence, once I retreat about twenty feet from the feeding shelter that is. Here is an article from Alley Cat Allies on the differences between stray and feral cat's. http://www.alleycat.org/strayorferal

I think if these cats are coming regularly on your property to feed and are not neutered or spayed, then you must trap them and get them TNRd. I have heard of some feral caretaker's that will attach a collar to the friendly cat's that come around (a breakaway collar) with a note taped to the collar explaining your intentions and your phone number so the owner can call you, if there is an owner. I don't do this. I trap the cat if it is coming around daily and take the cat to be TNRd. IF it has a microchip, then we will contact the owner that way and wait to neuter/spay. This has never happened though, a cat being microchipped. Because if they were chipped, they would also be spayed/neutered, most likely. Thank you again, for all you are doing for the feral/stray kitties. The world is a better place because of people like you. Stepping up to help control the feral cat population. :hugs: :clap::clap:

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Feralvr- my rule of thumb is that if I see the same kitty multiple times with no collar, it's fair game. A collar signifies ownership, no collar, no owner.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 IF it has a microchip, then we will contact the owner that way and wait to neuter/spay. This has never happened though, a cat being microchipped. Because if they were chipped, they would also be spayed/neutered, most likely.
One (only?) exception are of course breeding / show cats, who got astray. Which happens, and isnt so unique as one thinks.   And some of them may be shy, even very shy, to people they dont know well.

But in these cases you of course do see it is a "look alike a pure breed"   :)

Unless of course, it is a breeder of European cat, or  American shorthaired cat - in these cases they look alike a handsome moggie.    But you cant guard against eweryting.   :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fresh astray or old astray / homeless is the parallell question.

If you think it is a fresh astray, act accordingly!!!  It is NOT enough to "have eyes open".

It is a situation of hurry as being freshly astray home cats, they are defenceless. ANY predator will take them.  Not to mention they can probably NOT find food on their own.

(If they survive some month and still in good shape, firstly then you know they have a decent chance).

Take it in and seek after the owner.

If in doubt: take it in and seek after the owner.

Of course, it if was dumped you will not find the owner, and if you dont have resources to find an adoption home or something, so you have a problem on you.   So every man or woman must take her own decision.

Cats who did got astray, are not so unusual.  I myself know several examples just in the little swedish/norwegian  world of russian blue  (moving to and from shows, mating, feries etc is an extra moment when they can get loose).

If it is possible loved, well maintained, with all reasonable security measures, pure breeds can get loose and astray, so surely it must be rather common among owners of "moggies".

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree up to a point. I would trap them all and take them to the vet and look for a chip. There are owners who don't put collars on, and cats (like my Bonaparte) who will not wear collars and get themselves into danger trying to take htem off. But it is true that if a cat is chipped then it is usually neutered. I neutered my neighbour's cat once and they never noticed!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One (only?) exception are of course breeding / show cats, who got astray. Which happens, and isnt so unique as one thinks.   And some of them may be shy, even very shy, to people they dont know well.
But in these cases you of course do see it is a "look alike a pure breed"   :)

Unless of course, it is a breeder of European cat, or  American shorthaired cat - in these cases they look alike a handsome moggie.    But you cant guard against eweryting.   :)
Yes, could be true, but unlikely, but as the saying goes.... never say never. Are show cat's NOT microchipped? :dk: I did not know that, you would think that would be required to show a purebred cat - having it microchipped. This would be news to me if not so. :lol3:

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. Are show cat's NOT microchipped?
I did not know that, you would think that would be required to show a purebred cat - having it microchipped.

They ARE microchipped, and usually NOT neutered.  So we had some mix up somewhere.   :)

Some may be neutered, too, being ex or participating in neuter class.  But the combination microchipped and unaltered is typical for breeding and show pure breds. 

If showed in the pet class they are always altered if adult.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@clynn:  I agree with the above posters for the most part. 

Stray/feral cats:  if you live in an area where there is a high rate of foreclosures/evictions/job loss/poverty, then I think many of the cats you see will have been formerly owned and abandoned when their (in)humane owners dumped the cats.  Certainly, that is true of the cat colony I take care of. 

About microchipping:  I've trapped some cats that seemed inordinately friendly, so I had the vets scan for a microchip firsr before s/n.  Most vets will scan the cat for free--just show up, no appointment necessary. 

A mostly, though probably not pure-bred Maine Coon wondered into my friend's yard; she was so skinny you could feel the microchip.  Scanning indicated that the cat originated in Chicago; was adopted out near Arlington, Virginia and then ended up with someone in Greenbelt, Maryland area where he escaped from a cat carrier, and made it to my friend's house five miles away.

If you see the cat over several days, especially if the cat seems hungry and is eating, then in my opinion, he/she is fair game because the owner isn't taking proper care of the cat:  TNR the cat.

Some TNR places require the cat to be ear tipped (a universal sign that the cat has been spayed/neutered and, at the least, vaccinated against rabies).  With other vets/TNR organizations, it is optional.  That is something you can discuss with the vet. 

I recently conducted the trapping of a cat colony in the same condo complex where I live, though not near the colony I feed.  I knew there were indoor/outdoor house cats in the new area.  So I worked with the property manager and he posted a notice on the affected buildings informing the residents of the TNR process and stating that all indoor/outdoor cats should be kept inside for a two day period; "we do not want to trap household pets".  I trapped seven cats, none of whom appeared household pets.  Perhaps this is something you could do.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They ARE microchipped, and usually NOT neutered.  So we had some mix up somewhere.   :)

Some may be neutered, too, being ex or participating in neuter class.  But the combination microchipped and unaltered is typical for breeding and show pure breds. 
If showed in the pet class they are always altered if adult.
OK - gotcha. That's what I figured that they were microchipped but NOT neutered :nod: SO, if a cat/stray were to show up in someone's backyard and was not neutered it could possibly be someone's lost show cat. Then if that person, who found this cat, takes that cat to the vet to be checked for a chip and there was one, then the owner would be found and notified. :D

Last edited: