How do you kill ticks??

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Burn them or drop them into rubbing alcohol

When removing them, don't squeeze them... use something like a credit card to scrape them out of the skin, then pick them up with tweezers or something and stick them in a flame
Alcohol is great, kills them, i put a little on a piece of cotton and just keep it above the tick within a few seconds he dies

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eeeeewwww this has brought back some really bad memories of ticks!

One year our house was infested by them, our dogs were infested and we were infested! There wasn't a spot that you looked at where there wasn't a tick - from the very tiny ones to the huge enourmous fat ones! Errrrr this is making me squeemish!

The best way to get ticks and their heads out (don't leave a tick head in the skin of an animal or yourself) is like others on this forum have said... use alcohol on a cotton bud/ball and Mr. Tick will stop biting and remove himself from the skin... at this point, pick him up with tweezers and stick him in parafin or alcohol... then burn the little sucker!

Ooooohhhh it gives me such satisfaction watching them pop!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the ticks are not fat with blood, its next to impossible to kill a flat tick with a rock or shoe! Easier to drop them into a fire, alcohol, or pull them apart with your fingernails.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the ticks are not fat with blood, its next to impossible to kill a flat tick with a rock or shoe! Easier to drop them into a fire, alcohol, or pull them apart with your fingernails.
Then I must be extremely vicious then when it comes to squishing them! As for the other suggestions - I don't carry matches or a lighter and wouldn't want start a fire while surrounded by nothing but dried grass. Who carries alcohol everywhere? and yuck!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

i hear people talking about lyme disease but lets not forget about rocky mountain spotted fever.
I was diagnosed with previous exposure to Rocky Mountain Spotted fever the time I was bit by a tick and got the bulls eye rash. They treated me for lyme disease even though that result wasn't positive. Lyme goes in cycles and more often than not, the results come out negative and they treat you because you are having symptoms. That and the dead tick and the bullseye rash were a clear indicator (I brought the tick with me in a pill bottle).

I read up on RMS fever and found out that 16% of people die if not treated. I never knew that I had it so was one of the lucky 84% that survived without treatment.

brandi zelaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay so you go to walmart and buy some like tick killer and spray your yard. NO PETS OUT FOR 12 HOURS then poof ticks bye, but you do it every 3 months man we done it to ours and we havent seen ticks in forever but rember every  3 months