How Do You Guys Deal With Obnoxiously Needy Cats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. One cat is quiet and doesnt meow much. Shes happy to get food, and a little love at night.

My older cat is so incredibly spoiled. I dont know how to change it at this point. She used to wake up my mom at night just so she could get fed at the time she wanted.

I get home and like to feed them later in the night. So im stuck with her very loud begging meows until i feed her. I wake up to her scratching and begging for food (tried ignoring her for months, and leaving out frozen food, nothing works). Even after feeding her shes still needy for attention.

Sometimes just hearing her meow gives me a headache. I love her, but I have moments when its 5 in the morning and im tired that i just dont want to deal with her.

Am i an awful pet parents, does anyone ever feel this way about their cats?

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is she?

My Katy was like that up until over about 1 year old, and then recently she seems to have grown out of it. Not as vocal, needy and demanding anymore... Tbh I kinda miss the old needy cat :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she?

My Katy was like that up until over about 1 year old, and then recently she seems to have grown out of it. Not as vocal, needy and demanding anymore... Tbh I kinda miss the old needy cat :D
Shes 9 years old, so definitely not a baby anymore. :flail:Shes been spoiled since she was a baby,

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since your cat is entering her senior years when is the last time she had blood work done? Most vets will want to run tests for seniors to be proactive and check for any age related illness. However, if it is truly just a behavior problem you may want to refer to this Article for some helpful information:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried leaving dry food out for the night? Some cats become more nibblers as they get older and having kibble available may be enough to satisfy her. Another alternative is a food puzzle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your cat is entering her senior years when is the last time she had blood work done? Most vets will want to run tests for seniors to be proactive and check for any age related illness. However, if it is truly just a behavior problem you may want to refer to this Article for some helpful information:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
thanks for the link! she had her blood test a few months ago. she gets her blood checked once a year. :blush: shes just spoiled, she has been like this since she was a kitten. i didnt understand why my mom would complain. i would wake up and shed tell me she had to throw her pillow, socks, or clothes at Kitty to make her go away.:flail: i understand why she would feed her just to make her go away.

Have you tried leaving dry food out for the night? Some cats become more nibblers as they get older and having kibble available may be enough to satisfy her. Another alternative is a food puzzle.
i dont really feed my cats dry food. Only home made wet food. Kitty is overweight as is, i cant really give her more food. :oops: it makes it hard when she only eats wet food.