How do you grocery shop?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you make a list of everything you need for while and do one really large shopping or do you go every few days?

I used to make the enormous list and go every week or every two weeks, but now I find myself more often just running into the store every few days for a few items. We've been having a lot of salads, either as the main meal or on the side, and I prefer the lettuce to be more fresh.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I eat really healthy for the most part, so I try to meal prep as much as I can. I figure out what meals I want to cook and make a list of stuff I need at the grocery store. I walk through and grab everything on my list, and then throw anything extra that looks good into the cart. I usually do a big shopping trip every 2 weeks, but stop and grab a couple things weekly like tomatoes, lettuce, and avocados. I eat a lot of produce and that stuff goes bad quickly so I only get enough to last 7-10 days. 

I'm also one of those crazies that reads every single label, so the grocery shopping takes way longer than necessary. I hate grocery shopping, but I love having a fridge full of fresh healthy food. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We go once a week, largely for cat supplies (food and litter) and bottled spring water, also for the cats and for Jackie. We buy apples every week, not only for me, but Jackie dearly loves apples, too; she always gets a few apple pieces when she comes back inside. Our shopping night is usually on Monday, right after work. I'll spend the weekend working on my grocery list, figuring out the coupons I want to use, working on menus for the week, etc.

I keep an ongoing grocery list in the kitchen. As soon as I open a bag of sugar to dump into my sugar jar, I put sugar on my list. I do that with everything....open an item, put that item on my list. That way, it's really rare that I run out of anything (although it does happen). When I know the store is having a good sale on meats and such, I will really stock up at that time and freeze.

We tend to keep our freezers well-stocked, so that if we don't feel like going for groceries for a couple of weeks, we don't have to, other than the cat stuff and milk. 

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a running list and usually go once a week. Sometimes I don't have much on the list and don't go. I've become an expert at the types of lettuce that don't go bad quickly - romaine, red and green leaf lettuce. Those bagged salads have a one-time use. Most veggies are frozen, but some, like broccoli and cauliflower, keep a long time. I freeze my bread and meat, too.

I've always been amused at those people who rush to the grocery store on the eve of a storm. I can always go quite a few days without a shopping trip.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go every few days but I really want to stop that. I'm going to start meal planning. I find the way I shop, I spend way more money than I need to because I'm at the store so often and always grabbing extra stuff. I want to start shopping only on Saturdays.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I plan a weekly menu for dinners, go through my online printable coupons and look through the pantry to make my list. I find we waste a lot less when we have a plan for everything.  I try to put my list in order by how the grocery store is laid out.  We keep a magnetic pad on the side of the refrigerator to jot down things we need as we run out or think of it. Some things I always have one in reserve; so I add it to the list as I take the "reserve" one from the pantry.  That usually means I have to re-write the list once I'm done; but it helps.  My handwriting is pretty bad; so I take my time with the 2nd list.  I put an asterisk next to things I have a coupon for so I'm sure I use it right.  I'll also jot down on the list if I need 2 of something for the coupon to work. It helps things once I get to the store.  

I do one big trip weekly; but we might end up at the store again a few days later for things like lettuce, milk or a forgotten item.  DH will often stop for those things on his way home from work too.  We also eat a lot of salads and now that all 4 of us do; we can go through it VERY quick.  The grocery store closer to DH's work usually has fresher lettuce!  Usually the kids and I go on a weekday when things are quieter; but in the winter we will all go on the weekend.  

The kids and I went yesterday after having sat at the walk-in/urgent care for 2 1/2 hours. By the time we left DS had laid down in the seat part using DD's coat as a pillow and his as a blanket.  I was a little jealous. 

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do a huge run once a month where I go to the meat market and but my bf pop and stuff like that. I love the meat market I go to I can go and buy chicken and hamburger for the whole month for our family of four for a 100-150 a month. I buy in bulk so I get cheaper prices. Then once a week I meal plan and buy sides, produce, milk and cat supplies. 

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a list going as I need things and then put it all together in order of where the items are in the store. I go whenever I'm able which means when I feel up to it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go once a week on Friday night after work. I take DD for her stuff once a month. We load up her fridge and chest freezer

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mind grocery shopping.  I go with a mental list usually.  There are certain items which get bought so regularly that I don't need to write them down.  I also like to get inspired by what is fresh and different so having a preconceived notion of what I want to cook rarely happens.  I try to go every Saturday morning although some weeks I have enough in the house that I just need basics like milk and bread.  

I like stocking up on paper goods and some other items we use a lot of that stay fresh for a while (cereal) at BJ's, it's only two of us so I need to do that only a few times a year.  Which is good because going there always leads to spending too much!

I'd prefer if I could go as needed but it isn't very convenient to do so.  I get home too late and don't pass a single market on the way home.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I keep a running list on the fridge of things I need to buy.  Then I check every flyer and write down who has something I need on sale.  Hopefully things on the list on the fridge! 
  But even if not on the list, if it's something I know I will use, I will buy it, as I hate paying full price.   Then before the sales end, I try to go to each of the stores that had something I needed on sale. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to go once a week. Now it seems like I never get time to go. Since we go by the store on the way to church and other places, I just stop and pick up a few items, bread, milk, etc. I try to do that until it gets pitiful in the kitchen. Then I go and spend mega dollars to stock up again

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd love to have the luxury of shopping once a week, or every few days.  I'd like to get a lot more fresh produce in my diet.  HOWEVER...I don't have a car, and am dependant on a neighbor who takes me once a month, or a taxi, which I can afford once a month.

This means that I have a list, and I have to plan meals for a month at a time...well...loosely plan.  I buy lots of frozen veggies, and big packs of meat that I break down into single servings (I live alone) and tuck in the freezer.  This is utterly against my instincts, which are to grab what I want when I'm in the mood for it, but that may be a good thing.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop the big items for the month. One grocery store packages 2-3 good pot roasts in one package. Same with steak and chicken breast. Weekly is bread, dairy and fresh fruit and produce.

Sometimes were just in the mood for something not in the house. That usually results in eating out.

I am always overstocked shelves spilling with cat food. I shop the sales. We had a bad winter where we were snowed in for almost two weeks. I was down to rationing cat food dry and wet. I stock up on litter too.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to have the luxury of shopping once a week, or every few days.  I'd like to get a lot more fresh produce in my diet.  HOWEVER...I don't have a car, and am dependant on a neighbor who takes me once a month, or a taxi, which I can afford once a month.

This means that I have a list, and I have to plan meals for a month at a time...well...loosely plan.  I buy lots of frozen veggies, and big packs of meat that I break down into single servings (I live alone) and tuck in the freezer.  This is utterly against my instincts, which are to grab what I want when I'm in the mood for it, but that may be a good thing.
Frozen veggies are almost as good as fresh.
Is there no way you can order on the internet?
Meat? What's that? I can't afford to buy meat which I why I eat so much chicken

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked I shopped every Thursday.
I had have it delivered as I don't drive or have a car. When I retired of go Thursday morning. My cleaner would be at home and she'd pack it away for me. If wander around the mall. Pop into certain shops where I was known for a chat. Go into the drug store where I usually bought something then take me out to lunch. Then if go home to a shiny apartment. Sometimes when I didn't feel too greatmy cleaner would go for me. Since the ex has retired he does the shopping. First of all it costs less. He sticks to the list! But the he often goes into the supermarket during the week. At least I don't have to go anymore.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to do the majority of my shopping on the weekend. Like many others here, I don't have a vehicle but I do have one of those really nice canvas nanny cart with wheels which is a big help until it comes to carrying it up steep bus stairs!! [emoji]128551[/emoji]

I try to keep frozen veggies around that can serve as both part of a recipe or by itself--spinach etc.

I don't keep a formal list usually unless it's been over 2 weeks sinnce my last big shopping trip. Then a list comes in handy bc nothing worse than waking up to no toilet paper or coffee haha.

I also like to come up with a recipe that I can freeZe the extra, like Rosemary chicken etc.

That said, I'm dying for orange juice, but yesterday I did not have enough time to hit both pet stores and the grocery. Ugh Walmart sold what looked like frozen oj that turned ou to be fructose syrup with oj as like the 4th ingredient. Nervy.