How do you get rid of gnats?!!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was actually an article in our local paper the other night about buffalo gnats aka biting flies. Apparently the weather and river conditions are perfect for them right now; they lay their eggs in running water (strange) and once the water temp gets to be 80* the larvae don't hatch. With the flooding going on here we've got lots of running water, and the temp is cool enough that we've got a bumper crop of buffalo gnats this year. Some folks say to use Avon's Skin-So-Soft as a deterrent, other people use vanilla extract, but scientists say neither of these really work that well. A good stiff breeze will keep the little buggers at bay, but that's not happening either.
I guess they'll go away eventually, but they are so annoying!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the gnat problem?

I tend to only take my garbage out once or twice a week because our trash bins are at the back of the building and a bit inconvenient for me. In the winter taking it out once or twice a week works out well, but in the summer because of the heat if I don't want fruit flies or odour I have to take it out daily. However, I do a work around. I have a deep freezer that is currently not very full, so I've been keeping a black trash back in there and at the end of the day adding my days trash to the bag and it freezes. I take it out every 2 or 3 days. Doing this I don't have any odour or fruit flies.

Those things can breed in drains as well as damp mops, and standing water and the litter box. So if I haven't used my dishwasher, I pour boiling water down my drains once a week, and my mop is rinshed with javex after use and stoop upside down to dry. Frequent scooping of the litter box helps too.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure mine were coming from the garbage disposal. I took the rubber drain piece out and the bottom of it was caked with nasty stuff. Plus it was all over the sides of the disposal. I clean everything really good with disinfectant and I haven't seen any more gnats. I've caught quite a few with the apple vinger concoction.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have them coming in from outside. And they keep getting into the cats' fountain.
We haven't been able to spend time outside, despite having a back yard and pation because of how bad they are. There are clouds of them everywhere.