How do you get a cat out from under the bed

hypancistrus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can buy at an office store this plastic matting for use under office chairs, to protect carpet. It's got little spikes on the back of it to keep it in place on the rug. Get it cut to the length of your bed and lay it under there... in my experience neither cats nor dogs like the feel of the little plastic spikes digging into their toes, and they will learn to avoid it. The stuff is fairly cheap here... maybe $1.50 per foot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allmycats

We keep bedroom doors closed here most of the time. If Gigi does get under the bed, I can get her out with any toy or swishy movement. How about if you get a laser light (if you don't have one already); if it is something new to her it might entice her. My cat AND dogs go crazy over the laser light. Just for future reference; I know you got her out already
No, she won't come out for any toy, food, or treat. She's very, very stubborn, and won't even come out for her favorite fancy feast (that she doesn't get very often). She liked the laser light when we first got one, but I think she figured out she was never going to catch it and now she ignores it. I can't keep the bedroom door closed for the one bedroom because that's where the litter boxes are.

Originally Posted by stephanietx

When my cat used to hang out under the bed, I would put those under bed storage things under there. I'd put them just out of the reach of my feet so I wouldn't kill my toes, then line them down both sides and along the foot of the bed. Worked very well most of the time.
We're thinking about doing this. It seems like the easiest, and I can use the boxes to store stuff in.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I think I'm just being a little too considerate of her delicate sensibilities.
There is nothing wrong with that. If she is needing a quiet place to relax and be comfortable, not giving that to her or taking it away, could really stress her.

Have your hubby keep her out while you are on your way home, so when you get there, you can put her meds on her, then she can go back to her safe little hidey place.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best way to stop a cat from hiding under the bed, unfortunately, is to remove the box spring from the frame - just totally get rid of the metal bed frame so that the box spring is directly on the floor. Once the issue that's causing kitty to hide is resolved, replace the frame. I did this in the past when I had an ill kitty......did this with my spare bedroom bed so that she could never 'hide' under the bed. I'd then ensure I kept the door to my bedroom closed at all times.

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since it sounds like you just need her out for the Neosporin until her cut heals, you just need a temporary solution. I wouldn't go out and spend money on office mats and pillows and storage bins just for this one little injury.

My best suggestion is to just not let her in the bedrooms until you're done with her treatment. You said you didn't want to move the litter box out of the bedroom as a permanent situation, but it would be the cheapest and most effective solution for now. Take the litter boxes out and have hubby shut the doors while she's out roaming around during the day. Once she's all healed up, which shouldn't take long once she's actually getting the Neosporin, move the boxes back into the bedroom and open up the doors. A little inconvenience now will save you a lot of time and allow her to get better faster.