How do you fight loneliness

Magda_Mimosa

Magda Loves Kitties More Then We Love Magda
Kitten
Purraise
Hei Ho everybody!
I have a subject to discuss, and it ain't an easy one.
I've been increasingly isolated since my divorce, and even though my little Fantasma gives me all his love, I am longing for company.
I was wondering if anyone of you might be in the same situation, and if so, what helps to alleviate the pain?

With furry love

Magda

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s not safe to do during the pandemic but, socialize in all forms including online and keep yourself occupied with what you love. I made two friends in my condo this year through our shared interest in animals. They also have pets and we take care of the street cats here. In my city for example there are volunteer cluvs and singular events to get together and make cat houses for the winter for street cats.

Are you on Instagram? I think social media can help a lot to socialize and meet alike minded people too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the pandemic isn't helping! I assume you're working from home and not getting socialization that way. I did things like go to a French club and zumba classes at my gym, but again, pandemic.

Online dating is an option! My brother has been doing it, and while dates have been on Skype or another platform until feel comfortable meeting in person, things like walks and take out, depending on how open your area is, are definitely possible!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness love your kitty's name <3

As others said, engage in social media, join some like-minded forums and groups etc (Hang out with us here too :biggrin: *Evil laugh*)

Keep an eye out for future classes you might be interested in once things taper down some more - Art, language, exercise, dance, golf, yoga, martial art classes and so forth. Maybe also, budget and schedule permitting, you can plan a small trip for the future. Something to look forward to!

According to various psychological articles pertaining to pandemic loneliness, doing little things like keeping a planned routine, writing thoughts in a diary, finding pen pals, self-pampering and care (Giving yourself a spa day for example) daily walks and doing social projects (Creating a family tree, sign up for an online course etc) helps combat loneliness.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say. Taking pictures and something creative you can do at home whether it's gardening or drawing are great hobbies and even better during the pandemic times. When you take a walk you can take pics with your phone and then share them on Instagram with related hashtags.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a big advocate of exercise. It doesn't have to necessarily be anything strenuous. Walking outdoors is great, you can go at your own pace and see other people while social distancing. I've found that I see many of the same people when taking a particular route and if they are walking a dog we have stopped to chat. I feel better when I'm outdoors than indoors. :biggrin:

And you are always welcome to hang out with us on TCS! :thumbsup: We have a great feline community who would love to share stories, pics and non-cat related subjects, like food here: Foodie's Corner
Or games here: Games and Fun
Or more controversial topics here: https://thecatsite.com/forums/imo-in-my-opinion.25/

And I just had to say that Fantasma is absolutely marvelous! :gingercat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Magda_Mimosa

Magda Loves Kitties More Then We Love Magda
Kitten
Purraise
This is by far the sweetest community I have come across in the work wide web... But I have to ask... What do you do when none of the above work... when there is nothing left? What do you do when in those days when nothing seems to go your way? When, despite all your effort, the light doesn't seem to shine?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just keep going to the next day, I guess.

Therapy can help. I was lucky to have started seeing my therapist before quarantine, so I already had a relationship before switching to teletherapy, but I think you can research and start doing video therapy if you find a good fit.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I split from my first husband I felt overwhelmed by loneliness sometimes. You lose alot of friends and family I had to create a all new me I hadn't realised that I had put myself on hold. I'm 50 now and when I'm feeling lonely I will pick up my phone and go for a walk catching pokemon. It distracts me and I get exercise. I made a point of finding old friends that I had lost touch with. It will be easier when we can finally get back to some sort of normality.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have anyone in your circle, online or otherwise who would be up for video chats? Chatting online to people is one thing, but even though I'm happy in my own bubble and a huge introvert, a quick video call or FaceTime can really boost my mood.

There should be a penpal-style set up for people who want to connect this way instead of just writing letters!

I have all the time in the world for chats about cats :lovecat3:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you feel so lonely. I'm assuming this has been for longer than just the pandemic? Even though our current state doesn't help any.
I wonder if perhaps it's time you seek professional help. There may be some depression going on, and they would be able to give you proper clinical help if that's the case.

Do you/can you work? What are your hobbies?
Sometimes one of the best things to do to help make one feel better and also allows for socializing and making friends with like minded people is to find somewhere to volunteer. A local animal shelter or joining a charitable organization in your community.
Obviously, getting out there for volunteering at this time may not be possible, but you never know what type of options are out there that still allow social distancing until you look around.
Overall, doing something nice for someone else is a very effective way to boost your own mood, and besides...who wouldn't want to become friends with a nice person?

I would also suggest that you make it a point to do some exercise everyday, nothing fancy or strenuous, but the commitment and satisfaction of following thru with your commitment (even when you don't feel like it) does help, and of course, it's just plain good for your health. Go for a walk, run around the house with a cat wand toy, and just laugh at what your kitty does with you, turn up your favorite song and dance your heart out....

Journaling is a great way to give yourself some perspective. Write down all the positives (even the smallest little simple thing) you encountered for the day, and read them back to yourself when you are having a bad day. What you tell yourself about yourself, really effects how you feel, so when you find yourself thinking negative thoughts try to find something that breaks that cycle of negative thinking. This would also be a good time to try and reach out to someone thru an on-line community or a friend/family member.

I hope some of these ideas help you out! 🙂