How do you feel about wedding rings?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) If you are married or in a committed relationship, do you wear a wedding ring? If you are not married, would you wear one if you got married?
Jake and I both wear matching rings on our right ring fingers that I made

2) If you are married, does your spouse wear a wedding ring?
We are planning to switch the rings I made to our left ring fingers when we marry

3) Would you mind if your spouse quit wearing it?
I would definitely mind, unless it was a safety issue

4) Would your spouse care if you stopped wearing your wedding ring?
He would definitely mind unless it was a safety issue

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Married 30 years (today). I no longer wear my engagement ring, but I wear my wedding ring. If I wanted to not wear it, I would need to have it cut off. I was told that even though its not tight on my finger, as we get older our knuckles get bigger and that's why I can't get it off.

DH also wears a ring. I think if he had a good reason for not wearing it anymore I would be fine with it, but I can't see him ever taking it off without a really good reason. I don't know if he would care if I didn't wear mine. He might not even notice if I didn't have it on
First of all, congratulations!

And secondly... THAT explains it! I thought I couldn't get them off my right hand because I gained weight. Now that I've lost a lot of weight, I still can't get them off. It won't go over my knuckle, but they're loose on my finger.

Gary and I were both previously married. So when we got married, we went with the wedding rings on our right hands for two reasons - one, even though he's not a Sephardic Jew, Gary's army unit was primarily Sephardic, and it is their tradition to wear wedding rings on the right hand; two, this marriage we were doing "right."

He had one of the medals he earned in the war melted down (24K gold) and made into my wedding ring and part of his (it wasn't enough for both).

Normally neither of us is into material things, and I agree with others in the the thread that if the commitment isn't there, a ring is not going to change that. But we like showing our commitment to others, and the rings, in this instance, are not just a reminder of our union, but of so many things for which we have to be thankful, and of many people beyond just "us."

We got married twice, actually, so wore rings on both hands. Decided to take it a step further, actually, and now neither of us needs to bother with wearing or not wearing rings, though we usually do. You can tell there's tattoos under them, but the rings mostly cover them.

The rings on my right hand won't come off now (see above).

Gary's original war-medal meltdown ring no longer fits his finger and he was getting a lot of MRIs for a while there, so he wears it on his necklace.

The tattoos are on our Western traditional left-hand ring fingers. I think it was really sweet of him to have gotten the "i" in my name "dotted" with a red-filled heart.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

1) If you are married or in a committed relationship, do you wear a wedding ring?
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Probably.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, for your replies! The subject came up at a party and I was wondering how others here felt about them.

Originally Posted by LDG

...Gary and I were both previously married. So when we got married, we went with the wedding rings on our right hands for two reasons - one, even though he's not a Sephardic Jew, Gary's army unit was primarily Sephardic, and it is their tradition to wear wedding rings on the right hand; two, this marriage we were doing "right."
Aw! I really like that; doing it right.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are married or in a committed relationship, do you wear a wedding ring? If you are not married, would you wear one if you got married?

I have a plain gold band. I wear it out, but never at home.

He has never had a wedding ring to wear.

N/A

He wouldn't even notice.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear a wedding ring, my engagement ring, and an anniversary eternity band hubby gave me on our 1st wedding anniversary together.

My hubby rarely wears his wedding ring, unless I remind him, which is on weekends or trips. He works on cars and they can be dangerous in that field. His first/original wedding ring is in 4 pieces because a friend didn't believe him that tungsten carbide was really "unbreakable" like the jeweler said ... well, his friend was correct. Hammer + tungsten carbide = shatter. He had a back up ring from when he thought he lost the original, and then the cat found it between the couch cushions. He wears his back up ring (now his only ring!) on weekends when we go to dinner or drag strip, and wore it the entire time on our 2 week vacation. If his head wasn't attached to him, I think he'd forget it too

I do like him to wear his ring, but understand that he cant at work unless I want him to potentially come home without a finger one day or something. He knows a guy who's finger got skinned to the bone by a ring getting caught while working on cars, and a few who got a little electrical shock when it touched the starter.

I think he'd mind if I stopped wearing my rings, though he says he doesn't care. I don't think he spent so much money for me to never wear them. I like wearing them though, and feel my finger is naked without them. Sometimes I'll take one or two off and only wear one or two at a time if I'm feeling like being "different" that day.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1) If you are married or in a committed relationship, do you wear a wedding ring? If you are not married, would you wear one if you got married?
I do wear one, as does my husband.

Yep.

Yes I would, however I do understand about safety concerns when operating certain machinery, working with your hands all day etc.

If it was for a good reason, like work safety concerns, that would be OK. Otherwise he would mind.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I wear mine. My fingers have gotten bigger since we were engaged so I don't wear my engagement ring all the time anymore. Plus I'm always washing my hands and doing stuff with the baby so it gets in the way and catches things sometimes.

Yes he wears his also. He does sometimes take his off at work and put it on his key chain though. That's mostly for safety. We actually have 2 sets. One nice set that we used when we exchanged our vows; and one "cheap" set we got because of DH's work and when we want to keep a ring on but not bang up our good ones.

Yes I would. I have no problem with him not wearing it at work; but the rest of the time I'd prefer he wear it.

And yes he would care too. He likes it when I wear any of the jewelry he's given me. I wear the necklace he gave me on our wedding day; all day every day. Unless I'm wearing some fancy outfit; which is rare. I've been known to pin the necklace inside my bra on those occasions. Habit I picked up during his deployments when we were first married; where I'd also have his "good" wedding band on my necklace. But I think we just both see the bands like the traditional symbol it is; saying "hey! They are mine!"

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was married, I wouldn't care about wedding rings, it's just a trivial thing IMO
My parents never wear their rings and I know they love each other very much.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I both have wedding rings, but we really don't wear them unless it is a special occasion or we are traveling.

We are both welders and it is a serious safety hazard to wear wedding rings at work (although some guys do). Besides, I don't want to damage my nice wedding and engagement rings if I don't have to.

It doesn't bother either of us that we don't wear our rings. He has to remind me more often than I remind him to wear the rings.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been married for 4 years and wear my wedding ring and engagement ring when I leave the house but when I come home I take all my jewellery off. I once forgot to put it on & had to sign for something at work. I signed my maiden name instead of my married name. Make of that what you will!

Yes, he never takes it off.

Yes. When we were making our wedding plans he wanted to use his deceased Dad's wedding ring. I wanted him to have a ring I'd bought especially for him. I had a ring made exactly like his Dad's but in white gold instead of yellow. He wears his Dad's ring on his right hand.

Yes, I think he would.

Not long after we got engaged I took my engagement ring off to do housework & left it on the side in the kitchen. I went back to collect it and it had vanished. Ripley had performed a 'gravity experiment' on it and had pushed it under the fridge. I can still remember the feeling of horror when I realised it had gone!