How do you fall out of love? :-(

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In your heart and mind you already know this union isn't a good idea.

What others said is very true. 1.5 yrs is very young love and very idealistic but you are also wise enough to see future problems due to the religious differences, probably due to the fact you are 31 and not 19. Asking him to compromise his religion is no more fair than asking you to compromise yours. If you both feel strongly about your religion then this is a no-win situation. Several years down the road, the love would turn to resentment, regret and possibly even stronger damaging feelings.

I believe there is more than one person out there for each of us. I love my husband very much after 27 years, but it is a very different love than it was 25 years ago. It is more tolerant, deeper and wiser. There are times I could shake him silly just as I know he gets frustrated with me, but we are committed to each other and share the same religion, values and ideas. If we did not share those things, we would have divorced many years ago I believe.

He sounds like a wonderful man and you sound like a lovely woman - maybe just not together. Life is a struggle at the best of times and if you both come from different directions, it can be overwhelming and lead to much unhappiness for you both.

In your future, you may often think back and romanticize this relationship and ask questions like, "I wonder if it would have worked", or "Did I make the right decision", or other similar questions. Your memories will always have the romantic feelings attached since you haven't had the years in the relationship for the glow to wear off and real life to begin.

The love between couples changes over the years and once the "rosiness" of young love wears off, the challenge of "real" living takes over and it's not always an easy road. If you start out with major issues like this against you, the going can get pretty rough.

I pray that you find peace with your situation.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

You may not find a person such as him but you may find a person better for you. I remember saying to my friend he has everything I want but his family would drive me crazy and he is very close to them. He really was a great person so I did not want to give him up. She in her wisdom said it is like a fireman who is a really great fireman he it does not mean he would be a great doctor - it does not make him a bad person he is just the wrong man for the job. It does not make him a bad guy just not the right one.

Something that no one addressed is did you say he was in Saudia Arabia and you are in Canada that seems like quite an obstacle to overcome in terms of distance. As a single woman almost your age I understand not wanting to give up "the perfect guy" but there really is someone or many someones out there for you. I can tell you this don't drag it out because unfortuantely it does not get easier as you get older and reallyt no reason to waste time in a relationship that is not working, especially as he does not keep you warm at night from that distance.

There is a Spanish saying that translates into "One nail drives out the other." It really is true so get out there and find another nail you will find there are a lot of great guys out there. I know it is not easy but it really will help.

hannahj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yosemite was right on when she said "I believe there is more than one person out there for each of us." There are a handful of wonderful men in this world that you could potentially have a fabulous marriage with--he is not the only one who possesses the qualities that you find attractive. Pure numbers are on your side here!

Young lovers often like to tell each other that there couldnt be anyone else in the world as perfect as their partner--but that just simply isnt true. He was everything to you, but if, as you say, his religion is everything to him, then at some point here the equation doesnt equal out. Im guessing that you love his strength, honesty, integrity, etc since those are qualities that strong faith cultivates. These are qualities that exist in many men around the world.

Dont tie up your future happiness and life in a person that doesnt have the possibility of fufilling what you need. You will set yourself up for a very painful life!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HannahJ

Yosemite was right on when she said "I believe there is more than one person out there for each of us." There are a handful of wonderful men in this world that you could potentially have a fabulous marriage with--he is not the only one who possesses the qualities that you find attractive. Pure numbers are on your side here!

Young lovers often like to tell each other that there couldnt be anyone else in the world as perfect as their partner--but that just simply isnt true. He was everything to you, but if, as you say, his religion is everything to him, then at some point here the equation doesnt equal out. Im guessing that you love his strength, honesty, integrity, etc since those are qualities that strong faith cultivates. These are qualities that exist in many men around the world.

Dont tie up your future happiness and life in a person that doesnt have the possibility of fufilling what you need. You will set yourself up for a very painful life!
I know this is off topic but I just have to tell you I LOVE YOUR CATS! Could you give them each a kiss and cuddle for me, please?

hannahj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, I definitely will! Billy is flattered, Im sure. But Blossom already knows she is the queen, so she will just give a little nod and wave of the paw. Thanks for the compliment!!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say use your head. Talk to him and see what direction each of you want the relationship to go.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

He is strictly religious - he was born in raised in Saudi Arabia, one of the most restricted, highly religious Islamic places in the world. He will not compromise on anything.

But we have discussed in detail future situations with our children and I was surprised at cool he was about things. I asked him about X-mas, etc., he said it was fine as long as I didn't attach religious significance to the holidays.

But the one question we both couldn't answer was - what happens when he tells our children one thing about hellfire, God, etc., and I tell them its not true, or something different?

Religion is his daily life, his whole way of being. It's so not mine. This is why I think there will be problems. I don't WANT my children to believe what he believes, and I will be heartbroken if they do. Situation reversed, so will he.

What will happen is that one person will have to give and compromise more than they want, and that's not fair to either one of us.
Journey - you have strong feelings about this and compromise isn't really going to be there. I think that you would eventually come to resent this and it is best you moved on now. Keep reminding yourself why a future with him does not make sense and keep yourself so busy.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Religious beliefs are a big issue, if either party is a strong believer. You cannot brush it aside as if it meant nothing, if you already realize this is a big issue for you. People who do not have strong religious beliefs may find that hard to believe, but it is true.
I agree 100% with Becky on that point.

First off,
my heart goes out to you for what you are going through right now; there are few of us gals who haven't been there and we all know how this must feel right now.

Secondly, you have every right to make your large religious differences be a deciding factor. About a year and a half ago, my best friend broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years (who even proposed to her!) because she is Christian, he is Jewish, and neither one of them (as is their right) were willing to raise their children in another religion. Yes, compromise is a HUGE part of relationships, but you should never have to compromise over your faith.

And that best friend of mine who broke up with her boyfriend over religions differences? She is now engaged to a wonderful man whose religious views are the same. Trust me, it won't happen overnight, but with time your heartache will heal and you will find someone who you can share your religion and your life with.

Again,
. I wish you all the best

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

i am so touched by all of your responses, and honestly, these are the best, most truthful responses I have gotten - and that includes my friends and family!

What you all say makes sense - I long for the day that I can say you guys were all right, and I'm fine and happy and met someone else (even though i can't think of meeting someone else right now).

The distance thing of course was always an issue, and I would have had to make a huge committment, get legally married and sponsor him to Canada in order for us to be here together. I am just not comfortable doing that, and I guess I should just trust my instincts.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

I guess I should just trust my instincts.
I think this is your best advice so far.
Instincts are a way to indicate something's not right.

Take care.