How do you decide who to send christmas cards to?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Thanks all for your insights! Most of the ones where we don't get responses back are his cousins. I've never met most of them (and we've been together for 20 years), and have never even heard their voice (they don't call us and we don't call them). But they are "first cousins", so they get a card.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive here. I'm the one that ends up writing up the cards each year, as I have the better handwriting in the house. Mine is barely legible, but DH'ss is worse than a doctor's scribble. I get a little annoyed sending cards to people I've never met, never will meet, and have no clue what type of people they are.
I would try to contact the first cousins, I mean what if they have moved? or passed away?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know when enough becomes enough. No one likes to feel left out though and I love sending them so our list is long. And yes, as a wife I usually end up doing them all, but I do love to so no big deal.
Christmas is only once a year and I love sending people mail.
I know most enjoy getting them too, even if they don't send anything back in return. Just give to give and keep sending the cards. You never know how much that one simple card once a year could mean to them. Just a thought.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some years I send cards, and some years I don't. When I do, it's to people I think about often but don't see often -- in some of those cases, it's a once a year thing, and we exchange short notes, too. I have a bunch of cousins, but have never been close enough to any of them to do cards.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally send out cards. Occasionally, I send will send a couple. Even when I sent them, I hardly got any back.

I remember the year my mom passed away. this was in 1994. I sent cards to people in her address book that she was close to. There was one woman that lived in our city that I sent a card to. This was one of my mom's best friends.

Well, that woman, I refuse to call her a "lady" sent me a letter after Christmas. Not a very nice letter either. She basically told me that if she wanted her to have a Merry Christmas, that I should have sent her money! I was floored by her response. My mom didn't leave much of an estate but I did give her some of my mom's stuff that she wanted.

I never wrote back after that. She was friends with many of the transit bus drivers, as long as they "loaned' her money. When they stopped, she stopped talking to them. I heard she died a few years ago... A lonely, bitter old woman. I tried reaching out to her by sending that card in my mom's memory but was met by so much bitterness.

That was so sad

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(not including family) I just send cards to people I'm sending gifts to, and who I see nearly every day. I also save some cards incase I get a few from people I didn't write any for.