How do you deal with declining health of your cats

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m having troubles processing what is the inevitable.

I don’t want help with the health issues. It’s the guilt I feel because I can’t afford to pay for ultrasounds, CT scans.
I love my boy so much, like it breaks my heart. I used to have health insurance for him but when he turned 10 years old the premiums went up and up. He turned 18 and it went up to $120 a month.
So I canceled it. He hadn’t had any health problems is a long time and I decided to put money in a savings account.
But then 3 months later, BAM! Vet visits. So far it’s been over $500 and we still don’t have an answer and now more procedures.

and I just don’t think Leo is up to it anyway. He sleeps, comfortably. He eats like a piggy. He’s still the same sweety boy. But something isn’t right and the vet thinks it’s his heart.

and no,can’t set up a payment plan or work something out. You pay for it right there.

and like I said, not sure Leo wants all that stuff. He just wants to eat and sleep and watch the birdies from his window seat.

but I feel like crap,I cry all day. He’s all I have and I live alone. No support system.

like I’m balling right now.

like I’m grieving him and he is still here. Taking a nap in his window seat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is called anticipatory grief, and a lot of folks go through that, including me. I have a 19+yo with multiple health issues which are being treated, but it still it doesn't change the fact that I can see the decline in her as time passes. I'd like to think that it is helping me prepare for the inevitable, but I don't know. It is really hard to find folks who can appreciate this unless they too are going through it, so I know the 'feeling alone' aspect. Even my husband looks at her condition with a bit less emotion.

What testing has been done, and what makes the vet think there is something going on with his heart? Did they do bloodwork and take an x-ray of his heart/lungs? If so, how did those turn out? What else did they do, and what procedures are they proposing? I only ask because x-rays are probably the most economical way of identifying if there might be a heart or lung related issue. This type of x-ray rarely ever requires sedation and is a pretty quick process, so the toll is relatively non-existent on most cats. There are so many inexpensive heart medications that can address problems like a heart murmur or high blood pressure and can greatly extend a cat's life when used.

It's obviously up to you if you want to share this information with us, but if nothing else, sometimes it just helps to talk about it all.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry. :hugs: I have a Abby, 19 year-old with numerous medical conditions. She's been struggling for a while now. I overanalyze and overthink everything she does.

My husband was laid off at the end off March and has not found another job yet. The vet bills our outrageous these days so I understand. I picked up a prescription for her a week and a half ago and it was $99 for two weeks of pills!

As hard it it is my husband and I decided that we are not going to do anything over the top with her at this point. It's about quality of life and not quantity. Yesterday I went and signed my mother onto hospice care. She is not critical at this point but has enough going on with her to qualify for it and at this stage it is the right thing to do. I'm not going to lie it was not easy and I'm still struggling with it. Ever since though I have been thinking about Abby and basically that's where Abby is. It's more comfort care than "save at all costs" care. It's not easy but it's what I would want someone to do for me.

I just don’t think Leo is up to it anyway. He sleeps, comfortably. He eats like a piggy. He’s still the same sweety boy.
This part is important. It sounds like you are already questioning if all the extra tests, etc. would be worth it anyway. Quality over quantity.

Did your vet have any suggestions for him without doing all of the tests?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been there. Realizing some of my babies were mortal sent me into a tailspin. I grieved when they were still here. But try to remember and focus on the things you have written... You don't think he would want all the poking/prodding/tests/etc. You know him best, trust in that. And he's 18. By ANY standard, that is a great lifespan for a cat! Well done! At 18, any/all cats will get tired. I would love one of my cats to live that long. So remember that you have done a great job and will until his last day. You do, however, need to find a support system. There are a lot of kind people here, but try to seek out some other avenues too. That way, whenever it is time, you will know you'll have support. Very important! Also, take care of yourself. Make sure you eat healthy, get some exercise, and do all the other good self-care things. The stronger you are, the better you'll be able to care for your elder cat baby and also bear any stress that comes with that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I overanalyze and overthink everything she does.
It's about quality of life and not quantity.
These two sentences are my mantra!

We've had so many cats over the years that I have learned a lot especially about their well being. I've not only learned to research symptoms and treatments but watch and pick up on the cues my cats are giving me. I am very in tune to their mannerisms and habits. As long as they are not struggling or suffering with pain I am at peace. Of course, I call the vet at the first sign when something is off but I don't react immediately unless it's an emergency. Carleton is also a senior albeit not the same age as your cat, i.e. 18 years old. However, he came from a bad set of circumstances when we rescued him with some health issues I cannot change but I do everything in my power to make his life more comfortable. :lovecat2:

I'm sorry you feel alone but as K Kris107 mentioned we are here for support and you can post or share your feelings anytime you need us. We understand what you're going through and can not only sympathize but empathize with you. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you check the heart rate in a chonky cat. Trying to find it under his left arm pit but I can’t feel it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate all of your replies. I will respond to you all. Right now I’m working while I google and worry, so I can’t reply now.

one other question, I’d Leo had a heart issue, would he still want to eat like his usual piggy self? I mean he is devouring his Fancy Feast and I always thought they lose their appetite.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do you check the heart rate in a chonky cat. Trying to find it under his left arm pit but I can’t feel it.
Breaths per minute, which is different than heart rate, is measured by watching your cat's chest/abdomen rise and fall - one count per EITHER each rise or fall and count for 30 seconds and multiply by two. Even if your cat is heavy, you should be watching him while he sleeps and see the rise and fall - and the only reliable count is when they are asleep or at total rest. If you or someone you know has a stethoscope, that is about the only way to actually capture heart rate.

one other question, I’d Leo had a heart issue, would he still want to eat like his usual piggy self? I mean he is devouring his Fancy Feast and I always thought they lose their appetite.
I can only tell you what happened with my sister's little dog. He had heart issues, but my sister couldn't afford to do all the testing the vets wanted to do, so I am not sure if she ever put him on any kind of medicine long term. He also had kidney issues, but nonetheless he had a voracious appetite through to the end.

I think the type of heart issue might make a difference, and you know no two animals are exactly the same in terms of their illnesses and how it impacts them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabuto, who has been like my service cat for 15 years (he is 16) was diagnosed with conjestive heart disease and hyperthyroidism in the late spring.

I opted not to have all the screening done because even with all the screening in the world conjestive heart disease is terminal. It will eventualy take his life but my priority is keeping him comfortable by keeping his thyroid under control.

I actualy just splurged and bought my boy a ceramic fountain on amazon. It should come today.

My point is, enjoy what time you have left togeather. And treat your cat well in their golden years.