how do you deal with cat hair in your home?

preppyjock

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can't avoid it, the hair will be all over the place for sure. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very low shedding breed, so not much cat fur around my house. I very rarely vacuum or groom the cats.  

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all hardwood floors, so I just sweep every week or so.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put small blankets down on the places they like to lay on. I wash them every week. A Swiffer does a pretty good job of picking up the hair. Most of the time I tell myself cat hair all over the place is endearing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if you only have one or two cats and they're fed a healthy diet and you have a normal cleaning routine, there shouldn't be a lot of hair around. Now, I have a lot of cats. . .and a Husky mix and a GSD mix. . .so it's really a lost cause at my house :lol3:. But at long as I vacuum regularly it's not too bad.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use throw blankets on the coach and fabric-covered chairs and wash those weekly. Saves having to vacuum the furniture. Otherwise, I just keep a regular vacuum routine.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok now I'll give the real answer lol.

We only have one cat; he's a short hair but on the longer side of a short hair.  I don't really find it to be much of an issue unless we let it go for too long.  I actually thing his dander is what I see more of on the hardwood floors, not so much hair.  But we also have an old home which tends to be rather dusty for some reason ever since we had some serious construction there - it's as if the dust never left so it's hard to tell if it's Casper or the house :p

Anyway, we try and vacumn the carpets once a week, and use a swifter for the wood/tiled floors about the same.  Washing them down is less frequent because we're busy and lazy and thankfully, no kids in the house to muck them up.  Our couch is leather, so that's no issue.  He is allowed free reign on all furniture so bedding gets tended too as needed.  The worst thing is the small couch in our "office", which is a velvet material.  Yikes.  That thing is as furry as he is.  We've taken to leaving a towel on it now so that we can easily switch it out for a clean one.  It was just too much to vacumn it and never looked clean regardless, and he'd jump right back on making it a futile task.  That couch isn't staying anyway - it's a temporary piece of furniture.  Next chair we get in their will be a material which is "cat-proof" lol.

haley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, brush your cat everyday and if the cat lose alot of hair maybe their's something missing in his diet. 

If you're feeding him tuna please stop because this is what cause the hair to get loose too , but if you have alot of cats try v[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]acuuming it's fast and easy! [/color]

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vacuuming in my house is not fast and easy.  I live in a two-story 97 year old house.  It take about 45 minutes to do a good job of all the rooms and furniture.  With two bad knees and a foot problem at the moment, it's not the first thing on my list these days lol 

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could just vacume 1 or 2 rooms a day. You would keep up on the hair but not be exausted. This is what I did when I was married living in a old 2 story victorian house with 2 young children, 3 cats a dog and running a home daycare. I did this with dusting too. Its the only way I could keep up on everything.

deborah julian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I vacuum a lot. But I don't always have time to vacuum every day. Combing my cats helps a lot- but they still shed like crazy.

cattreats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vacuuming and washing your bedding is probably the best route. Vacuum all carpetted rooms and rugs (or wash them). I even go as far as vacuuming the furniture and even the cat tower (that thing gets VERY furry). I'd say once a week for vacuuming unless you're dealing with multiple cats or someone with allergies (then you could do it every other day or even everyday if it's a serious problem). 

If you really want to take it to the next level, you can always do a weekly/monthly carpet steaming and shampooing. I don't think this is that necessary unless you're dealing with multiple long-haired cats and/or have people with allergies living in your home.

Even if your cat is shorthaired, brush your kitty! And even if you aren't worried about cat fur everywhere, brushing is still a very important thing to do for your cat. 
 Even if brushing doesn't exactly reduce shedding - all that fur that you throw away after brushing isn't on your carpet or furniture at least!