How Do You Deal With Bad Days/times?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming most of you have had bad times and bad days, and was wondering how you cope.
I've been keeping a gratitude list. This list has no quota, no deadline, and no expectations of ever being "finished". Of course, my family, friends, cats, dogs, livestock, etc. are on it. It's not detailed generally but for specific things I jot down notes that will make me remember better and make me laugh/smile, etc.
Even the most insignificant thing goes on this list, from a TV show or episode I laughed at or a song I like or a random experience that was pleasant, or a good meal, or a nice gesture from a random person right down to interviews available online from celebrities that I really enjoyed watching.
It sounds insane but has helped me a lot for a long time whenever a bad time arrives. I was hoping this idea might help a lurker out there and I'd love to hear your personal suggestions if you're willing to share. Maybe they will help someone =)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If possible, I meditate (part of which involves thinking of some of the things for which I'm most thankful). If it's so bad that I can't relax enough to meditate I'll put some music on and lose myself in a good book; I can always manage that :blush:! And then when the book has calmed me enough, I meditate.

Margret

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to go the opposite direction.
I've found over the years that if I don't let my anxieties and frustrations out they will eventually blow up on me (and anyone around me). For me, meditation/prayer/happy thoughts come AFTER I've expended some energy, otherwise it just feels like suppression.

So, I exercise to exorcise. Usually a run/walk will do the trick (and I can talk to myself the entire time if I like, lol).

Once I've gotten rid of the negative energy, I work on the positive: yoga, tea, a good book, a kitty snuggle...

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ `:blush: --> I exercise to exorcise.
The exercise exorcist ! Yes that is the best - all the natural endorphins produced . My yard is always needing something so it's like having my own gym . Uphill walking is great too !
Holding a cat that purrs is mood enhancing :catrub::redcat:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't thnk of it as being a bad day or a bad thing. We've all heard the saying " LIfe is 10% of what actually happens and 90% of how we react to it. " The author who said this also says the only thing we have control over is our attitude.
We can't change the crazy things that people do that upset us or make our illness go away by getting angry or upset. It's healthier and makes us happier to have a good attitude and not dwell on those things. I know some people will say that's not easy. That's true, it does take practice. I learned this from a friend who was terminally ill and it helped him to live his last years in happiness.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time when I'm having a hard time it is because I didn't get enough sleep. I left work early on Thursday and didn't go in on Friday because I could tell I was closing in on an emotional breakdown. It didn't help that I have only been getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep every night the last week or two. So for me, the best thing is sleep. If it isn't sleep related, I read a lot of fanfiction and that helps me feel better too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always focus on getting through the day, the 'bad' day or the rough times day-by-day.

i keep myself busy doing things around the house or lawn/garden, budgeting/planning, reorganizing, and various 'projects'. make sure i spend time with my cats. and watch some tv, play computer games, read a book. these things all help to keep my mind from worrying over a bad day, or rough times, as much. :agree:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally listen to music (often upbeat if I'm sad); take photos, watch funny videos on YouTube or watch a happy movie/TV series, take a walk outside or do some adult colouring. Sometimes I also find talking things out with a friend helps.
And, of course, the first thing I do before all that is cuddle my kitties :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walking is actually a good way to "meditate." Any rhythmic motion triggers the same kind of brainwaves and brain chemicals as meditation; it's one reason rocking chairs are so comforting. I know an author who says that whenever she gets writer's block all she has to do is scrub the kitchen floor - same thing, rhythmic motion and takes her mind off of the immediate problem so that her subconscious can do what it does best, take care of things.

Margret

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take long nature walks. I enjoy looking at all of the beautiful flowers, plants, and trees; and I like listening to the birds singing. That is how I spent a lot of my free time. I can walk for miles and miles, and I never seem to get tired.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I organize things, like a closet. They are already organized, but I enjoy perfecting them. I try to do something useful when I feel stress, and it really helps.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read and I garden. Reading takes my mind off things. I read a lot last year after my nephew passed away. Mostly things I've already read and enjoyed; so nothing heavy or emotional. Just pleasant. Lately at night I put the girl's "show" on (a kitten cam on youtube) on the big tv and sit in the near-dark with them and my kindle. It's funny watching my cats engrossed in the tv. :lol:

When I garden it's putting action into something with tangible and visible results. Gardening was a bit too much last year. But this year I'm getting that shade-memory garden in order.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to seek out the company of other people. Not to discuss why I'm down, but just to be there. I tend to get too isolated, which is depressing in itself, and spending time with friends is always uplifting.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My life is very stressful A stressful job, and I take care of my husband and mother in law who are both disabled And I am just busy with other things. One thing I do is foster baby kittens. So I say that kittens and gin keep me sane I come home, make a drink and sit down in the bathroom and watch the kittens. Tonight I am just out on the porch and (obviously) looking at TCS. If it is a really bad day I go over to a friend's place next door and we have a couple drinks and talk. We are very close and have known each other a long time so we can vent.

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
I either listen to music, talk to friends, do something creative or play with my kitten. It was quite hard though when I went through a period of losing pets and not having another cat. I'm so thankful I found this sweet little girl though.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its funny that this thread should pop back up when it did. I just had a really funky day the other day....and not the good kind of funk. I was just irritated with everything and everyone.

I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis, and I stand/walk most of my day. Knowing that halfway through my day I'm going to be in some degree of pain from walking, it wears you down. But, you throw a smile on your face, you listen to other peoples woes, and you try to inject positivity to those who need it.

I deal with the bad days by finding a bit of an escape. I read, or I play narrative heavy video games, and deal with the in game characters problems.

A positive attitude is really one of the best defenses against a really bad day.

I believe it was Bob Ross that said: We need to have the bad times to really appreciate the good times.

I always try to remember that, and also :Bad day but not a bad life.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, I was going through a particularly rough patch. Nothing was going right; it was all right and I was having a really hard time trying to deal with everything.

I got an email from a close friend one night with four words: This, too, shall pass

I got it. Bad days are hard, bad times are harder. But in the overall scheme of things, they will pass.