How do you all correct your fur babies?

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I catch mine in the act I say "ohhhhhh tut tut that would be a bad kitty"..never fails I get the I'm-not-doing-anything look and they move along. The only time I've had to get loud with them is when they are trying to sneak outdoors, then I yell "NO" and stomp my foot.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With so many cats in the house, hollering "no" will cause many to run for cover. I usually hollar their name, following by a hiss and/or NO. If I'm close by, they get picked up, we go face to face with a NO. I have never hit any of my cats. I have given them a sweeping push on their behinds to get them off a counter.

For minor infractions, I pick them up and have a serious talk with them. Picking them up gives them a time out, and my "talks" with them in a calming voice usually gets them thru their time out. I swear they understand my usual lecture (said in a calm voice): "Beds are for sleeping, not for playing. If you want to play you need to go out into the hall on the cat tree. Now settle down or get out of here."

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
For minor infractions, I pick them up and have a serious talk with them. Picking them up gives them a time out, and my "talks" with them in a calming voice usually gets them thru their time out. I swear they understand my usual lecture (said in a calm voice): "Beds are for sleeping, not for playing. If you want to play you need to go out into the hall on the cat tree. Now settle down or get out of here."
Oh, yes! And isn't it uncanny how they focus on you, and seem to be taking in EVERY word -- and how it's so effective that you have to believe they did just that. They really do understand a great deal more than most people (well, non-cat people, anyway!) give them credit for, don't they?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have to get Rocket off of Isis( he loves to do the domiant thing and she wails like a banshee when he's holding her neck, I think he gets a kick out of hearing her wail. meanie!) I just go "Rocket basement" in my " mommy voice" as my friends call it, and he goes right down there for a 3 minute time out. The other cats, I rarely have to correct. If I do, the girls I just say a firm "no!" because they are really skittish and I want them to know they did wrong but not scare them too much. Twig, really doesn't do much wrong( not bragging just telling the facts! LOL!) he is really mellow and just site on the cat nappers or one of the three cat climbers and watches the action.

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
( he loves to do the domiant thing and she wails like a banshee when he's holding her neck, I think he gets a kick out of hearing her wail. meanie!)
Sam does that to Sally and she carries on like the world is ending. I pick Sam up and carry him off telling him its not nice to hurt his friend, but she always follows and starts it back up again within a few minutes by biting his tail or swatting at him.