How do retired male breeders do when adopted into a forever home?

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have been neutered as an adult, and may not have had as much interaction in the home due to the need to keep them away from intact females; and the strong odor of their urine. Do they in general adapt well? What about spraying in the house. I have another adult, neutered, cat of the same breed, that is low energy. Would like 2! 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it depends a lot on the individual cat. You might try to find a breeder who has a neutered male that he or she has kept as a pet in the household for some time. They could tell you how the cat interacts with their other cats, and humans, when he's not separated from them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With breeders you mean studs?  I think it should go well.  At least, my studs got much calmer and harmonious after being neutered.  And still they were nice fellows even while studs, very friendly to us humans, to each other, and their visiting wifes.

So yes, it could be a nice alternative for you.  For these ex-studs, having a friendly companion in the new home is always an advantage.

Also, even a stud kept in stud chamber is seldom totally unsociale - usually he does have a companion cat with him, either a spayed female or a neutered male.

He may be somewhat unused to people if coming from a big cattery, but he wont be unused to other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, StefanZ! Yes, Stud! This guy is housed with 4 other males, they all get along well and are friends. They have all been shown and have been titled; So they have been handled, but not living in the house with the family, for obvious reasons. He was just neutered. The breeder is going to take him indoors when she gets back in town next week, and see how he does. She says he is very sweet and loving. I haven't seen him yet, but will be. I have a mellow, neutered Maine Coon male at home, who is 6 years old, that I rescued (his family got tired of him, and surrendered him to their vet, and he ended up in rescue for quite awhile); he is a real love bug, and very low energy. I just want to adopt an adult, as a kitten might be too active for him! 
 This new former stud is also 6 years old, so that seems like it might be a good thing for my guy. They are both Maine Coones also.  I am worried about spraying, as that is something I won't tolerate. I know there isn't any way to know how an adult will do after neutering. Also, I read that it can take up to 2 months for their hormones to get out of their system. The breeder said she wanted to make sure he wasn't spraying, which is a good thing. What you said is very reassuring! 

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like you're working with a good breeder who really cares about her cats. :cross: that it's a good match for you and your boy.