How do I tell who is the Alpha cat?

mamakat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 1 female, Abby, is definitely the Alpha cat around here. No one messes with her
Sadly it means she is often solo while the boys play and rough house. But shes a sassy little girl. Shes just now warming up to me and allowing petting and she comes to sit in my lap now
She likes everything on her terms. Out of my boys, Morgan is usually the boss.

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so funny! I always thought Max (my alpha) was "losing" the fight because he was the one on his back, yelling. See, I learned somthing new. Thanks!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My previous alpha cat was also called Max. He was a very large Manx that RULED the household. He's pictured in the TCS cookbook within the chicken section if you purchased that book.

mclays

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tigger is definately the "Alpha" cat in our house. She is always perched on the highest point of the room, she takes all the toys away...and I've heard her growl if the other 2 cats come around when she's eating. Plus she gets VERY jealous if I cam petting or playing with any of the other cats.

Squeakers is a cat that we got at about 5 weeks old, my Auntie found her under the wood pile at her house and took her inside. It seems as though the rest of the litter was eaten by racoons. Squeakers has really come into her own when we started to introduce her to the other 2 cats...she's learned how to meow, play with the toys, and be more affectionate towards my husband and I. Once in awhile I catch her sleeping in the highest point of the bedroom, I think that she wants the others to know that this is her room, but other times I think that she is copying the Alpha cat, Tiger!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I'm not sure who is alpha in my house. Personality wise the vet said she would think it was Jordan because he has a very strong personality. In the begining I thought he was for sure because of things like he would take away Levi's toys & Levi wouldn't do anything. But now I'm not so sure. That has stoped & for a while Levi would always sit on the highest perch, but recently Jordan has begun sitting up high too. To some extent Levi can't seem to jump as well as Jordan can so I think that's why Jordan always ends up higher. Also, Levi doesn't bury in the litter box & someone once told me that's a sign of alpha. I've had them about 2 1/2 months. How long does it take to work that out?