How do I tell the age of a cat?

ardnax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have recently taken in a stray that is apparantly pregnant, and I'm wondering if there is a easy way to estimate her age. We have an appointment to see the vet, but I was just curious.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is really hard to say. A vet will tell by her weight, size and teeth. If she still has baby teeth then she is under 7 months. And yes she can be pregnant at this age. Even younger in fact. It is not a good idea to let her have the babies this young though, she is not mature enough. You should take her in to be spayed whether she is pregnant or not. Then she will not have the babies and there will be no risk on her life and health and that of the kittens. And you also won't be worrying about bringing unwanted kittens into the world and have to spay and neuter and vaccinate and rehome them all, assuming they are all healthy since you have no idea the condition of the tom cat she mated with.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is old enough to have kittens, It's kind of hard to tell w/out a lot of experience. I know that kitties lose their canines and grow in new ones around 5-7 months or so. I would also check her teeth and see if there is a lot of build up of tar, that might clue you in she's older than 2 or so.. Your vet would be the one give you a more accurate guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ardnax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's too late to have her spayed...I'm pretty sure by her size, etc that she will be having the kittens VERY soon. We have her indoors though and will not go back out until she is spayed. We have found homes for 4 potential kittens.