How Do I Tell If Cat Is Pregnant

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

So I have been caring for a stray cat for almost a year now. She lives in a wooden house on our back steps and we named her Squeakers
Long story short, Saturday when my bf was petting her he noticed her nipples are larger and very pink.
We have 4 indoor cats so we are aware of what cat nipples should look like lol.
He suspects she is pregnant. I looked it up and from the pictures I have seen of pregnant cat nipples, they match.
But are there any other ways we can know for sure?? She is strictly outdoor, we have Never taken her to the vet so I am afraid to call a vet and ask for an ultrasound because they might refuse due to her never having been examined and possibly not having rabies shot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds pregnant to me. She really needs vaccines and spaying.

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

Do you want kittens? She can be spayed now if not.

Otherwise, she needs extra nutrition to support the pregnancy, and she’ll need to have her kittens and raise them inside your home. Outside is not safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll call my vet in the morning. Or possibly pet fix. I didn't know we could have a "cat abortion". As much as we would love kittne, we wouldn't be able to care for them and If there was an emergency I'm not sure we would have to funds to support it.
If she is indeed pregnant and we plan on letting her have the kittens, I will keep her in doors in a cage (it's a large two level cage) till she gives birth and kittens are ready to be weaned.

There was a time that she wasn't eating and looked like she threw up a couple of times but I think it was more than 10 weeks ago. Plus we just noticed her nipples change too. Ugh...so complicated lol!

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am taking her to pet fix tomorrow. They will examine her and give me the best estimate as to how far along she is. They said if I can feel the kittens nove, she is quite a bit along and it could be high risk to perform a spay on her. So I'll update tomorrow!

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question!!

So we got her in the cage tonight. She is not happy and I don't want to stress her out. All day today she was in the bushes behind my garage napping (i can see her white fur behind the chain fence) and then she was in the neighbors driveway sun bathing. Till I got her in the cage.
Long story short, if she still has a few weeks to go, would it be okay to let her out during the day then cage her at night?? It's at night she seems to have the issues with the other cats. And during the day she doesn't stray far from the house as I stated above

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to stay 100% inside until the kittens are weaned and she can be spayed. You don’t know for sure that you’ll be able to catch her again, and too much could go wrong. Thanks so much for caring.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put her in a room to herself but out of the crate for a week so she can acclimate?

Keeping her caged for several weeks will stress her out.

Once she and your cats get to know each other better things should calm down. You could always crate her at night.

The problem with letting her back outside is two-fold. She could have her kittens at any time anywhere, or you could have trouble catching her again.

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I decided to get her fixed this morning.
The tech said she had at least another month to go and I didn't want to keep caging her every night or cage her period and stress her out.
Despite what my bf wants, she will be recovering in our bedroom for the next 3-4 days
I'm bummed but it was probably for the best

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Doesn't feel right though :/
Have been upset all day. Went to pick her up and they said she had 3 kittens.
Hoping it's just her pain or just stress but she is in a terrible mood. Keeps hissing and growling. Doesn't help she is in our bedroom and it smells like 4 other cats she doesn't know (yes she is isolated)
So, will give her till maybe sunday/Monday then let her back outside. Hopefully she will still be my friend lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’ll be okay in a few days. It’s just her hormones. She just needs time to recover from her surgery. Give her peace and quiet and plenty of food.

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she seems to be doing okay but I am still a bit concerned.
She hasn't used the litter box yet (it's bee a little over 24 hrs) but has had a good appetite but not drinking water
She is super snuggly.
Plus I worry because they used glue for her incision and said she would be able to go back outside on about 48-72 hours. Is that really enough time to heal???
I worry that black cat will show up, or any cat and start fights with her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don’t let her outside until she is healed.

She will use the litter box soon!

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said 2 weeks for healing.
Not sure I can keep her isolated in my room for that long. Would I be bad to cage her for a a short time? My bf is already upset she is in the house and I worry she will get used to being in the house and not want to go back out. Or even hate being in the one room for a while

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not cage her. I meant keep her in for a few days until she seems better, not the whole two weeks.